šŸ›¬ Taoyuan Airport | Ideas for a 12-15 Hour Layover

Took my brother and his wife to one of those high-end Beitou hot spring hotels for a couple hours on a short layover. Had a great soak. Had a great meal. I can recommend. If it were me on a layover I would not want to go traipsing all over.

5 Likes

Yeah or maybe Pause Landis in Wulai where you have the views.

2 Likes

Taipei will be hot as shit in June though

2 Likes

Take the Maokong gondola, walk around there for a couple of hours (itā€™s not busy when you get further away from the gondola) then go to one of the tea houses for some food and drink while enjoying the view.

4 Likes

If you go to Tamsui anyway and you dislike Taipei downtown, why not spend most of your time up there?

@marco surely can give you some recommendations for that beside the obvious places such as the fort, the fisherman wharf, the ferry across the river, the old-street area, etc.

For places to eat, check

1 Like

@lostinasia lives in Danshui too.

1 Like

I know, he said ā€œour placeā€. Well, maybe they have done Tamsui before.

How about going to the other end of town? Wulai!

1 Like

I mean, I think there is little I can recommend him that he either doesnā€™t already know or that I havenā€™t already written in the Danshui thread.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not so much disliking downtown Taipei - itā€™s just that I far prefer it on weekdays, rather than weekends.

As Batman @TaipeiGuy2000 suggested, traipsing around all over the place doesnā€™t seem that appealing, and I think thatā€™s what Danshui would be. Plus the big things Iā€™m looking for are nice places to sit with good food and/or drink for a couple of hours, with mildly diverting attractions between the locations, and Danshui doesnā€™t have many places that appeal to me in that way. Itā€™s also an opportunity to head for nicer restaurants than I usually would (hopefully my brother will pay - god knows he makes more money than I do! - but it doesnā€™t matter).

So, for example, right now Iā€™m wondering about early lunch at Addiction Aquatic Development; drinks on the patio at Meowvelous; wander the department stores in Xinyi a bit; dinner at Saffron, and MRT back to the airport. Thatā€™s roughly the level of exertion (mainly digestive exertion, I suppose!) Iā€™d be looking at. Lunch somewhere and then up to Maokong is also an interesting possibility. Or Maokong first, but I like the idea of being up there for sunset, depending of course on his departure time.

However, I do hope the thread can be useful for others, not just me - I was surprised to not find another thread asking about this topic. The hot springs suggestion is a good one - but personally, I donā€™t like hot springs normally, and certainly wouldnā€™t be interested in them in June. I still need to look into what there is to do in Sansia and Dasi - I suspect thatā€™s busier than what weā€™d be interested in, but since heā€™s flying in from Singapore, heā€™s not going to be jet-lagged (but perhaps tired!). A tourist run of Danshui would be good for someone with more energy and, er, touristic enthusiasm (?) than I have.

2 Likes

Is he a cyclist like you? If so, take him on a ride! A cyclist friend visited me a few years ago, and I took him on a ride around Taipei. Heā€™s still raving about it to this day and wants to do a repeat.

1 Like

Oh, that would be a great idea, but no, he is most definitely not a cyclist.

I have certainly fantasized about showing other cyclist friends around some of the hills here.

1 Like

Balcony in Danshui is an awesome spot to watch sunsets

1 Like

Yeah if you think about Taipei is a good city to live, but not that much of a tourist city.

1 Like

Speaking of places that arenā€™t open when I typically want to sit at a balcony with a nice view and get some reading or marking done! (Opens at 6pm Wednesday to Friday, 4pm on Saturday & Sunday). Darn it Taipei, cater more to middle-aged afternoon drinkers!

But yes, definitely a good location if weā€™re in Danshui around sunset time.

Google Maps link here, Facebook here.

Itā€™s not bad. When he was here before - and when I was living in Tainan, so I was basically a tourist in Taipei as well - we had plenty of fun with the typical tourist sites, the temples, the National Palace Museum, that kind of stuff. Plenty to keep visitors busy for at least a few days. But for a layover, I think weā€™re looking more for a combination of good eating and relaxation spots - especially since, as you mentioned upthread, the summer heat may be in full blaze by then. At least heā€™ll have already spent a week in Singapore, so the heat wonā€™t totally floor him. I confess one reason Iā€™m drawn to the Xinyi area is the air conditioning.

Yeah eating and drinking is decent. Also maybe a pint at the expensive but outdoors Taihu Landmark, if you are in Xinyi

啜飲室 Landmark (Taihu Xinyi)
+886 2 2722 0592
https://maps.app.goo.gl/QSaBHWx2rGJyvGSNA?g_st=ic

1 Like