Arrival - Taoyuan Airport MRT to Taipei

Browsing the Taoyuan airport website.

This map seems to indicate there is a metro station in each Taoyuan airport terminal, is that correct? Has anyone taken an “express train” to Taipei? It’s not abundantly clear what service this is referring to.

The transport info, at least as far as connecting trains are concerned, is quite sloppily slung together. I can’t see any further info linked on the timetabling of the different services, i.e express vs. all stops.

Thanks for any responses.

Ps I’m aware of the buses to get to and from, just curious to try a different mode of transport, if it is viable.

Express train only stops at A3 and A8 before the airport terminals; commuter line makes all stops.

There is a station at both airport terminals. The express trains and the regular trains stop at the both terminals. Not sure of the schedule for the express trains but the ticket price is the same.

2 Likes

Cheers. How long is the ride between the airport and Taipei main station?

I haven’t found any clear information. But I’ve taken the express train a few times.

The only slightly tricky part once you’re there is just getting on the appropriate train because they’re all at the same spot.

There are screens that show upcoming trains and include designations for express train.

1 Like

About 40 minutes

The other shit thing about it is it’s a 10k hike once you get to Taipei. Don’t even try to walk to main station, people perish on that hike regularly, walk to Beimen.

Express service takes 35 min; commuter service takes 50 min

1 Like

Oh it arrives at a kind of fake “Taipei Main Station” where you have to walk to the real one (or Beimen as you say) , I see.

I knew there would be a trap in there somewhere.

Express trains are purple.
Collectors trains are blue.

4 Likes

Watch out on your hike too. Bears have been known to roam those parts. :rofl:

Maybe they should put big signs up on the colors.

Well… I’m not saying you’re wrong. But it does say on the side of the train. As for if that is clear enough or not is another debate. I think it could be made clearer.

2 Likes

That’s pretty handy if you know about it. But if you are all bleary eyed after getting off the plane, looking up at the screen trying to figure out what is going on, it is something you could miss quite easily.

Communication is hard…

The colors show up on Google Maps.

2 Likes

Wow. Whoever designed and signed off on this 10km an hour white elephant needs to be raked over hot coals. First of all they should remove MRT from the name of the line. It is expensive. Not just in terms of Taiwan. It’s more expensive than using the Singapore MRT. Sure you can use your Easycard but it deducts actual dollars so if you’re on the 30 day card you need to add credit.

Having used quite a few airport links in a bunch of different countries the taoyuan airport link mostly resembles the Singapore Changi Airport link. With about 10 stations in between. The difference is that large chunks of what was there have now been bulldozed in the hopes that developers will most likely build 30 story buildings that remain mostly empty.

The train itself is only a 4 car train. But, and this is a big one, it runs like a pig. The carriages roll side to side like what you would experience on those old blue trains from years ago down along the South East coast TRA line. There are also exhorbitantly long stops at stations for what appears to be no real reason.

After seeing how well Taiwan has done with building modern metropolitan transport infrastructure over the last 20 years all I can say is this is so far from what should be expected I’m surprised there haven’t been protests.

Sounds like you took the slow train and not the express train.

Both go the same route but the express train only stops two or three times.

It’s a link to the city I kind of compare it similar to Hong Kong airport express.

4 Likes

Yeah. The DingQiPiao only works on the Greater Taipei MRT and Bus systems. It is not compatible with the Taoyuan MRT or any other MRT system.

You need to take the purple express trains. It’s a hybrid system.

2 Likes

I rode in an Uber to the airport to drop a family member with luggage, then took the express mrt back. I was home before he boarded the plane. I did hit the time just right so didn’t spend time waiting on the express.
I’m not sure exactly, but isn’t it 160nt? Busses might be a little cheaper, but it sure was nice to get to Taipei station in 35-40 min, then another 10 min by mrt.

3 Likes

Buses iirc run you about $120.

They are pretty fast too but can get stuck in traffic.

I wish they would take the left lane of every highway here and make it a bus lane.

2 Likes