Taoyuan Airport uber alles

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“TwoTongues”][quote=“tommy525”]Taoyuan 3rd most punctual airport in the world in 2008

latedeparture.com/2008/06/27 … worldwide/

So, which airport is the worlds most efficient one? According to a Forbes Travlerer article, the winning airport is Haneda airport in Tokyo (HND) with 90% of its arrivals and departures on-time. Never heard of Haneda? Me neither, but according to the article, the airport is the fourth busiest airport in the world primarily handling domestic traffic. It’s bigger sister airport, the well known Narita International (NRT) makes it on to the 2nd place. Well done, Japan!
Interestingly, 6 out of the 10 most on-time airports are located in Asia, only two from the US (Orlando and Houston) and one from Europe (Munich) make it into this elite group - maybe some of these airport managers should have a summer exchange class organized in Asia…
Haneda (HND), Tokyo, Japan - 90%
Narita International (NRT), Tokyo, Japan - 84.2%
Taiwan Taoyuan International, Taipei (TPE), Taiwan - 80.3%
Kingsford Smith International (SYD), Sydney, Australia - 80.1%
Hong Kong International (HKG), Hong Kong, Hong Kong - 79.7%
Soekarno-Hatta International (CGK), Jakarta, Indonesia - 79.3%
Suvarnabhumi International (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand - 79.3%
Orlando International (MCO), Orlando, USA - 79.8%
Franz Josef Strauss Airport (MUC), Munich, Germany - 77.8%
George Bush International (IAH), Houston, USA - 77%
Read the full Forbes Traveler article here.[/quote]
I believe direct flights between Songshan and Haneda are supposed to start in the next few months (October 31?), which’ll be friggin fantastic at avoiding the hour trip and back to Taoyuan. Unless you already live out near this hellhole, of course…

I’ve been seein some delays lately in and out of Taoyuan (not just because of the storms I posted about) in the 20-30 minute timeframe lately, and I expect there may be a few more coming in the aftermath of the Ukranian jet runway incursion in July, and especially when they begin the runway rehabilitation program and close one of the runways for a year or however long.[/quote]

I don’t know. It takes me almost as long to get to Songshan as Taoyuan. Taking the MRT means 2 transfers and three lines.[/quote]
Yeah but you live out in the sticks right? And what is this “M” “R” “T” thing of which you speak?

Seriously though, if you’re in the city, Songshan’s much more convenient.

[quote=“TwoTongues”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“TwoTongues”][quote=“tommy525”]Taoyuan 3rd most punctual airport in the world in 2008

latedeparture.com/2008/06/27 … worldwide/

So, which airport is the worlds most efficient one? According to a Forbes Travlerer article, the winning airport is Haneda airport in Tokyo (HND) with 90% of its arrivals and departures on-time. Never heard of Haneda? Me neither, but according to the article, the airport is the fourth busiest airport in the world primarily handling domestic traffic. It’s bigger sister airport, the well known Narita International (NRT) makes it on to the 2nd place. Well done, Japan!
Interestingly, 6 out of the 10 most on-time airports are located in Asia, only two from the US (Orlando and Houston) and one from Europe (Munich) make it into this elite group - maybe some of these airport managers should have a summer exchange class organized in Asia…
Haneda (HND), Tokyo, Japan - 90%
Narita International (NRT), Tokyo, Japan - 84.2%
Taiwan Taoyuan International, Taipei (TPE), Taiwan - 80.3%
Kingsford Smith International (SYD), Sydney, Australia - 80.1%
Hong Kong International (HKG), Hong Kong, Hong Kong - 79.7%
Soekarno-Hatta International (CGK), Jakarta, Indonesia - 79.3%
Suvarnabhumi International (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand - 79.3%
Orlando International (MCO), Orlando, USA - 79.8%
Franz Josef Strauss Airport (MUC), Munich, Germany - 77.8%
George Bush International (IAH), Houston, USA - 77%
Read the full Forbes Traveler article here.[/quote]
I believe direct flights between Songshan and Haneda are supposed to start in the next few months (October 31?), which’ll be friggin fantastic at avoiding the hour trip and back to Taoyuan. Unless you already live out near this hellhole, of course…

I’ve been seein some delays lately in and out of Taoyuan (not just because of the storms I posted about) in the 20-30 minute timeframe lately, and I expect there may be a few more coming in the aftermath of the Ukranian jet runway incursion in July, and especially when they begin the runway rehabilitation program and close one of the runways for a year or however long.[/quote]

I don’t know. It takes me almost as long to get to Songshan as Taoyuan. Taking the MRT means 2 transfers and three lines.[/quote]
Yeah but you live out in the sticks right? And what is this “M” “R” “T” thing of which you speak?

Seriously though, if you’re in the city, Songshan’s much more convenient.[/quote]

Actually I like using Songshan and have flown to China a few times this way as well as the outer islands. But it’s not that much of a time saver getting there for most people though that should improve when they change the lines around.

For me, taking the bus would be faster than taking the MRT to Songshan. Though I could walk there in 15 minutes from where I live.

Sungshan is awesome compared to TPE. Get off plane, get in Taxi, get home. Bravo.

Second fire in teh parking lot in less than a week… sigh

Oh, and there is serious leaking when it rains, so, with typhoon coming, rainboots required.

US$2 billion Terminal 3 soon to start. Now in designing and contracting stage?
Let’s hope they get this one right from the get go.

I think Terminal 2 is ace in terms of easy check-in, security, immigration, and all that. Points for friendly and speedy. But once you’re past that point, you’re going to starve! The food in the two “restaurants” is inedible and of course, expensive. There’s no place to buy an actual, recognizable brand-name snack… a 7-11 would do brisk business, even if they jacked the prices up by 50% – or let’s be rash – if they DOUBLED the normal prices. Or they could charge normal prices and an NT$100 admission fee… I’d pay it.

The departure halls are a bit grim and there’s a feeling of being herded on to the plane but the EVA staff are generally friendly and helpful. The loos are clean, and there are lots of them, points for that.

On the whole, I’d say Terminal 2 is better than many American airports despite the problems you have all pointed out.

Terminal 2 had complete power failure yesterday. When power came on, baggage belts were unoperational.

One has to wonder this is going bit to far for coincidence, at least gremlins are at work there.

But… but… Taoyuan airport has Homee! I especially like the oh-so-idiomatic usage from the Western traveler.

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/arts … ending.htm

[quote]Homee upending impressions of airport food
“Delicious!”
That’s the comment oftentimes given by diners of Homee restaurant inside Terminal One of Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, something rarely heard at the gateway to Taiwan which has gotten a bad rep for serving up crummy yet expensive dishes…

The reason behind the restaurant’s name, according to Ever Rich Vice President Pan Tsui-yi, is that “homee” sounds like “good taste” in the Taiwanese dialect…

Homee serves both Western and Chinese set dishes. Among the Chinese dishes offered at the restaurant are: danzai noodles, pork chop noodles, rice noodles and Hsinchu meatballs.

During winter, the restaurant serves up noodles in sesame oil chicken, a wintertime favorite for the Taiwanese, which does a good job of warming up the diner on cold, winter days due to ingredients which include sesame oil, chicken, ginger and lots – and lots – of rice wine.

The restaurant is equally adept at making Western dishes, such as sirloin steak, chicken cordon bleu, curry chicken, as well as a variety of salads and sandwiches.

All dishes are low-priced, as the restaurant aims to provide high-quality yet inexpensive foods for travelers. This strategy has already won the restaurant business from local and foreign tourists.

“I hadn’t dared to taste noodles in sesame oil chicken in the past,” said one Western traveler. “Yet Homee’s offering has completely changed my mind.”

“You know how Westerners like to drink. Some of them even ask us to add more rice wine into their dishes,” Pan said.[/quote]

Airports in general could improve customer satisfaction by having no hassle wifi.

Phnom Penh was the best airport that I have ever flown out of. Of course they only had one flight leaving when I was there. But I made it from the ticket desk to the gate in less than 10 mins.

Easiest airport I’ve ever used was Taichung’s old airport, Shuinan airport, right close to the city. I wonder what’s become of the place? Runway’s still there or what? Anyone know?

I remember rolling up to the tiny airport building and entering and there’s a simple check-in desk. Then it’s just walk outside and the turboprops were literally parked right there. A few steps and you are on the plane. And back in the day, just show ID at check in and that’s all. Just like taking a bus. NO hassle in it’s purest form.

ISO: Chabuduo

A new world standard

I just can’t understand the latest incident. A woman climbs over the fence, grabs a service truck with a ladder, and gets on a plane. So what do our authorities do? They cut all the trees around the airport’s fence!!! sigh

Read about it: taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 03507792/1

[quote]Air Navigation and Weather Service Deputy Director Chien Yuan-lin (錢元琳) said the motorized vehicles used by the ground crew are equipped with transponders if the vehicles are meant to operate on the taxiways.

“The ladder truck is not supposed to appear on the taxiway, so it does not have a transponder,” Chien said.

Chien said that rather than appearing as a straight line, the lack of transponder made the truck look like an isolated dot on the radar screen, which could easily be overlooked.

[/quote]

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … probes.htm

So, after a myriad of complaints about labor safety issues, the latest contractor took his staff, his machinery and split/performned a Houdini. Hence, airport extensions will be delayed to… who knows when.

Accidents keep on happening, like the latest collusion of a service ground vehicle and a planve, but they happen everywhere, no? :wink: And the main building keeps on leaking when it rains… or not. :unamused:

I’ve been through it recently, they are rebuilding Terminal 1 in fits and starts, it should be a nice improvement and I like the design of the new roof. Nothing ever goes smoothly here of course.

As for Shuinan airport that is a huge new development zone in Taichung, the airport has been shut down for a few years already.

The interior bits that have been redone look quite nice. I just hope that the renovation isn’t just window dressing. It does keep you on your toes a bit these days, as they keep moving things around, especially the bus locations. Last time I was there, instead of just turning left after customs (in terminal 1) and walking straight into the bus area, you had to go down and around and in an elevator (no stairs or escalator available :loco: ) and walk a fair ways to get to the new bus station. It looked nice, but it’s much less convenient, and the route to get there is terrible. Not my idea of an improvement :aiyo:

It’s interesting because they seem to be leaving much of the structure intact which is probably due to cost saving but it is more environmentally friendly and a refreshing change to the need for massive bigger and better airport terminals.
There will be a third terminal built in between 1 and 3.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]It’s interesting because they seem to be leaving much of the structure intact which is probably due to cost saving but it is more environmentally friendly and a refreshing change to the need for massive bigger and better airport terminals.
There will be a third terminal built in between 1 and 3.[/quote]
I’m not sure I get the third terminal thing. Why do they need it? The existing terminals don’t seem overloaded to me. At least they’re never particularly crowded, and the gates don’t seem to turn over very quickly. I’ve never had to sit on a plane waiting for a gate to open up, which has happened at some US airports. Is there really enough traffic to justify adding a terminal?

Just from memory I believe Terminal 3 is mainly going to be a shopping mall and will act as a connector between 1 and 2 but I could be wrong on that.

Actually Terminal 1 is horrendously busy in the summer time, it’s simply too small to deal with the increase in air travel especially with Chinese tourists coming and going by the plane load, but I have to say Taoyuan airport does function remarkably well at most times. Almost never a delayed flight, hardly a queue at security, quick walk to the gates, lots of immigration desks and small queues except on Sunday evenings usually.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Just from memory I believe Terminal 3 is mainly going to be a shopping mall and will act as a connector between 1 and 2 but I could be wrong on that.

Actually Terminal 1 is horrendously busy in the summer time, it’s simply too small to deal with the increase in air travel especially with Chinese tourists coming and going by the plane load, but I have to say Taoyuan airport does function remarkably well at most times. Almost never a delayed flight, hardly a queue at security, quick walk to the gates, lots of immigration desks and small queues except on Sunday evenings usually.[/quote]
Ah, I guess I’m just flying at the right times then :slight_smile: