Taoyuan Airport uber alles

i’m at the airport now, they have the e-gate thing up, which amazed me. i went through lightning fast. i’ll see if they have it on the way back but it seems i have a lot less to complain about now. but theres still some things. why isn’t there a 7 -11 or a cosmed? is it so much to ask? i just want to buy a snack or something not a box of 300 nt pineapple cakes.

Pretty sure there are 7/11s, I’ve definitely been to them - airport guide says terminal 1 B1 and terminal 2 B2. Sure there’s a Hi-Life near the bus terminal too. However I don’t think there’s anything airside, which given the eGate comment, is probably where you were posting from. Let us know if you find one though.

This is key. The airport facilities are pretty mediocre, but you go though so fast with the e-gate that you barely have time to notice.

According to Skytrax Taipei Taoyuan airpot is now ranked 15th worldwide, 3rd out of airports serving 40-50 million passengers, though I guess that says more about how shit the airports in other countries are.

It also got no.1 on immigration service.
http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards/best_airport_immigration.html

How is that possible, this is the queue to immigration today morning.

2 Likes

Who knows. I don’t work for them lol.

This reminds me of President Li’s plan to make Taiwan the hub for Asian logistics in the early 1990s. Any of you remember that, were living in Taiwan almost 30 years ago? It was huge hype back then.

yea theres a 7 11 and hi life in terminal one and two in the basement, but nothing after you go through security. which can be pretty annoying if your flight got delayed like mine did…

the place is fricken ice cold too. theres a secret lounge area in terminal one and its like the north pole up there…

And back on track:

At 9:38 p.m. on Monday evening, chunks of concrete and several massive ceiling tiles suddenly fell inside the entrance hall on the first floor in Terminal 2 of the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, reported UDN. According to a preliminary investigation, concrete blocks from an upper floor smashed through the ceiling support structure and caused the tiles to plummet to the ground.

Fortunately, no one was immediately below the ceiling when the concrete and tiles fell onto the floor. Airport management cordoned off the area, sent staff to inspect the damage, and dispatched a cleaning crew to clear the debris.

The Taoyuan International Airport Corporation said that in addition to carrying out emergency repair operations, it also sent staff to carry out a thorough inspection of the ceiling, reported CNA. Based on a preliminary investigation, the company said that four cement blocks had smashed through the ceiling structure of the entry hall.

???

4 Likes

First sign over the KMT party vote announcement earlier that day

Because of course it is. What a sad depressing structure.

Guy

Well, that is the cost of corruption. Par for the course. What is depressing is that they investigate…and determine 4 pieces fell.

And?

Why?

I am waiting…

Taiwan, touch your heart!

What an embarrassment, if anyone cared that is…

Oh wow - I didn’t know there was so much hate for TPE.

I personally really like TPE, it’s one of the fastest airports to get through. Luggage is offloaded very quickly and Immigration is a breeze. They redid the food court in terminal 2 and the EVA garden lounge is well stocked and quite nice (haven’t been to the star or the big star alliance lounge in a minute).

It is a bit barebones, but I don’t really see it as an issue - i rarely shop in duty free in general.

Edit: incheon is lauded as one of the best airports - but I think it blows. It’s way too big so taxiing to the gate after touchdown takes an eternity, immigration is also inefficient and slow (unless you have apec), no frequent visitor pass or e-gate access without a korean passport and luggage also takes forever. The food is also not good - lots of options, but they’re all garbage. So the qualifications for “world’s best airport” are different for me.

4 Likes

Pablo, you did not know TPE when the only food options were in the basement: a decrepit self serve and an even sadder breakfast joint. No 711. No Starbucks.

2 Likes

No hate from me for Terminal 1. After its award-winning reconstruction, it’s become one of my favourite buildings in Taiwan.

Terminal 2, on the other hand… let’s just politely call it “dated.”

Guy

1 Like

But there’s “Dinning”! Don’t you want to have some fine dinning when you go to the airport?

Geez, Taiwan. Or whoever’s in charge of at least a moderate level of English in international facilities. It’s not a good look when I search for dining options at the airport and the first result is “Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport - Dinning”.

1 Like

I think you forgot the restaurant on the second floor, across from where you go into the immigration counters now. I forget the name, it was like an outpost of some hotel or something. I always used to get eggs there

I am just triggered by the reckless approach to safety. If you are pimping your country everywhere as a fantastic tourist destination, you need to have some basic safety standards, at least at the airport before people get out and, say, step on a footpath outside and get run over by a scooter. If they can at least make it outside to the footpath without being killed or maimed, is that a big ask?

1 Like

I just remember it was devoid of light and any desire to eat there died no matter how starved you were. An underground parking lot had more esthetic.