🏙 Taoyuan | Taoyuan City Tourism

Let us know about it if you can!

Guy

1 Like

Luigi’s pizza in Taoyuan near the Taoyuan Sports center is very good. I highly recommend and also more budget friendly. Real Italian guy , love when he and his wife are speaking Italian . He does a great anchovy pizza ! Go support them you won’t regret it

路易吉的家 (Google it)

I also recommend Stephen’s pizza in Guishan. Taiwanese guy doing it right and nice atmosphere.

I would like to go to places like Francesco’s (looks fantastic,in a surprisingly out of the way place in Taoyuan ) more but the bill would break my heart for my family.:grin:

6 Likes

The Fat Yak

Good western food and friendly on other side of town.

I’m in hysterics over this. Why did anyone think the elderly man on the bus would entice visitors??

1 Like

It’s not for visitors .

2 Likes

Misleading advertising. Buckets of sand and wheelchair rides are special events: it’s not normally that exciting :wink:

Taoyuan’s a big sprawling city, with the roads very congested in places with pedestrians, scooters and cars. Coming from a small town in Ireland, I think you’ll find the range of moderately priced cuisine impressive, so that’s a positive. As for local culture, you might find interesting the gaudy Buddhist and Daoist temples that’re found in Taoyuan and all over Taiwan. For museums etc. you’ll probably want to head to Taipei. My biggest piece of advice would be to try and find accommodation with a good range of food and shops nearby (and perhaps even some footpaths, as near the Arts Centre) and also either near the train line or in a part of Taoyuan with regular buses to other parts of Taoyuan and to Taipei (coach buses are cheap and comfortable and from some parts of Taoyuan you can be in Taipei within 50 minutes). If you’re not planning on buying a scooter (and I personally wouldn’t want the hassle and danger of navigating Taoyuan’s chaotic traffic on a scooter) you need to make sure you have reliable public transport close to your apartment (large swathes of Taoyuan isn’t serviced by decent public transport, and you don’t want to be trekking or cycling through busy streets – especially in the heat or rain – long before you even reach a bus stop). Good luck with your baptism of fire!

1 Like

Thank you for the advice!

I think it’ll definitely be a baptism of fire. At least here at home, where I live there aren’t any footpaths either, with a very narrow road that usually has massive HGVs thundering down it, so maybe I’ll be a bit more prepared for the mean streets of Taoyuan. :joy:

1 Like

just watch yourself crossing the roads in Taoyuan. Especially in the busier places. They will run you down with kids in the back seat.

Always look eye.

1 Like

Yes, it is important to train the next generation to help to continue this precious tradition. :neutral_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Nankan checks all those boxes or at least it used to when I lived there.

3 Likes

The back of Nankan isn’t bad but it’s not Taoyuan city. So you would be dealing with traffic if commuting to the city and definitely need a scooter. Nankan itself also has some very busy areas. Nanakn is good for commuting to Taipei though.

2 Likes

Nankan isn’t the most exciting place, but it is, and I hate to use the word, convenient.

2 Likes

And you can walk up Wine Jar Mountain :+1:

Five Wine Barrel Mountain? That’s a mother of a climb. Make sure you wear sturdy boots and watch out for the bears.

2 Likes

No, it’s obviously for long-termers. I did find it on the MRT to the airport though - it gave me a bit more encouragement not to miss my flight and get stranded for the night. :scream:

1 Like

There’s always the Ant Museum, which I just drove by but didn’t stop. I do want to check it out some day though.

螞蟻帝國Empire of ants
03 320 6111

4 Likes

Sounds worryingly like Phase IV

1 Like

I had to Google that. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of that movie.

1 Like

Someone really needs to make a list of all these oddly themed (or oddly themed-sounding) museums etc. around Taiwan.

sanitary
(not my photo - I only ever saw the sign from a bus window)

The Museum of Drinking Water near Gongguan too (never been, but I understand it’s less dull than it sounds).

4 Likes

Let’s not forget Taoyuan’s own Republic of Chocolate (another place I haven’t visited)

Republic of Chocolate
03 365 6555

2 Likes