Taoyuan to Taichung

Oh yes it is, depends on the circumstance.

Taichung is a big area. So working/living locations could vary in happiness. There was someone recently taking about moving to an area in Taichung then realized it wasn’t matching expectations and changed his mind.

Most people are still working daytime. Seems more friendly than Taipei.

Pollution is awful in Taoyuan too. I am not sure why, but I guess it’s mostly from scooters. Right now, it is a rather gray and dreary and VERY cold place.

1 Like

Taichung is five times better, take it from me I have lived in both. Taichung has a lot of nice neighbourhoods with plenty of parks and also with a car you can zip to Nantou or down South .
Traffic situation is also a lot better than Taichung.

And the weather…The weather…Is awesome is in Taichung it’s sunny like 300 days a year.

Yeah there is some more air pollution (less rain ) because of it but also Taoyuan has air pollution too from factories and the oil refinery and cars.

2 Likes

No it’s really a mix of a lot of things (factories , cars, scooters , trucks , power plants , Chinese pollution ) but specifically in Taichung a large amount has been contributed by the fossil fuel power plant in Shalu.

Sold! `I’m moving tomorrow.

2 Likes

I’m not bullshitting either it’s really like living in a different country. I regret moving back North every Winter. And the summers there aren’t hotter than Taipei. Taoyuan life quality doesn’t come close to living in Taichung for me. If it was Taipei I’d think about .
So many nice neighbourhoods there it’s really take your pick. Good new housing is available too. Areas around the art museum and people’s park , science museum, seventh district , Beitun, Nantun , out to Dakeng if like nature. Taoyuan is not even in the same ball park.

It’s no foreigner mecca, it could be more happening, but life quality is way better than Taoyuan.

Now the only challenge I had there was employment options . So if you lose your gig you may have to move again.

1 Like

Taichung is not polluted anymore. The past year had extremely few bad days. It’s almost the same as Taipei now.

1 Like

Did they move or close the largest coal burning power plant n the world? And the other factories including NAPHTHA cracking? No.

Maybe it was a good year.

Approach Taichung from highway 3 in the morning and you’ll see the pollution settling in. Slowly making the buildings disappear and eventually the mountains in the area that are easily seen on a blue sky day

Yes, the closed part of it. I think only 3 of the 5 generators are running now

Anywhere but Taoyuan

1 Like

I lived in south district and somewhat regretted it. On super hot days which was all the time, I had no motivation to take a 30 min scooter drive to the city in the heat. Much easier to hop a ubus to Taipei to see friends.

I’m going on to say that I think Taichung is a bit boring and sterile, compared to Kaohsiung and Taipei in terms of activities available and convenient. Of course that’s just my opinion.

2 Likes

Agree. But it bests Tsoyuan city hands down.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree there.

What about Hsinchu?

That sir is another thread… :upside_down_face:

BTW, the OP has said he’s made the committing move and planning the move to Taichung.

Guy

I’ve only ever worked there on occasion. It felt very dull.

2 Likes

I know that. I was just adding Hsinchu to the list of anywhere but…

Taiwan Taichung Aerial Drone Video 台中七期 空拍