TARC Questions and Eligibility for Children to Enroll in Public Schools and Husband's Residency under My TARC

I am an ABC living in the San Francisco Bay Area currently, and I’m thinking about moving to Taiwan in about a year with my husband and 2 daughters, who will be ages 5 and 6 at that time. We plan to stay in Taiwan for 1-2 years, primarily to give our children an opportunity to learn Mandarin, experience a different culture, etc. I have some extended family in Taiwan, but my immediate family (parents, siblings) all live in the U.S. My parents are both ROC nationals, so I understand that I and my children will be able to get Taiwan passports through my parents (my mom has passed away but my dad still has his Taiwanese passport and needs to “reactivate” his household registration since he has not lived in Taiwan for 40+ years). Also, I intend to apply for a Taiwan Area Residency Card (TARC) so that I may be able to apply for a work permit if I need to work while there and to help establish residency for my children, who I’d like to enroll in public schools while in Taiwan if possible (which is why I’m planning on getting a TARC). I’m not exactly clear on the following though:

1. I understand all the documentation that needs to be gathered for the TARC and that I’d apply for the TARC after entering Taiwan on my Taiwan passport. Has anyone applied for the TARC before entering Taiwan at an overseas TECO Office ? I wasn’t sure if this was a possibility. I have a lot of family in Taiwan that would allow me to use their address for household registration purposes (if that matters at all).

2. After submitting all the relevant documentation for the TARC, how long does it take to get the TARC? I understand the clock for the 1 year consecutive stay in Taiwan doesn’t start until after you receive the TARC.

3. The TECO office in San Francisco told me that I would have to stay in Taiwan consecutively for a year on the TARC to establish household registration, and THEN after that one year, I could apply for household registration for my children. During that 1 year period residing in Taiwan, will I be able to enroll my children in public school with just my TARC since my children won’t have any household registration yet? (Not sure if I should post this question in a different forum?)

4. My husband is a U.S. citizen only and will enter Taiwan on his U.S. passport. Will he be able to obtain any kind of residency if I hold a TARC, or will he be forced to do visa runs every 3 months in order to stay with us for the 1-2 years?

Thanks in advance for any information!

If you or some of your family read Chinese,

僑居國外之臺灣地區無戶籍國民申請在臺灣地區居留送件須知
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct_cert.asp?xItem=1088341&ctNode=32596&mp=1

I thought any kinds of ARCs, (golden card is an exception?), are applied in Taiwan, but the above site says you can apply for it at Teco.
、申請程序及處所:
(一) 在海外地區者:應向我駐外使領館、代表處、辦事處或其他外交部授權機構(以下簡稱駐外館處)提出申請,由駐外館處核轉內政部移民署(以下簡稱本署)辦理。

processing time is 7 working days.

If they have any kinds of ARCs, they can go to school.

It seems he can apply for TARC with you.

“前項第一款至第十款人員之配偶及未成年子女得隨同申請,未隨同申請者,得於本人入國居留許可後定居許可前申請。”

He may be able to apply for ARC too.

Resident Visas for Foreign Spouses of R.O.C.(Taiwan) Citizens Without Household Registration, Foreigners, Hong Kong Resiednts, Macau Residents, or Mainland Chinese Citizens
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-166-281-b948e-2.html

Thank you for the links. I will take a look at them with my family.

As for my children, I was under the impression that they couldn’t get any ARCs until I waited the 1 year period after receiving my TARC, but I may be wrong. Without any kind of ARCs, I wasn’t sure if they could enroll in public school. I’ll make a visit to the SF TECO Office soon to clarify all this, as it’s been difficult trying to get information over the phone with them. I’m hoping I can get more information if I go in person.

I am sure you are wrong. If your husband can get any ARC through your residency, your minor kids must be able to get their residency with you too.

“前項第一款至第十款人員之配偶及未成年子女得隨同申請,未隨同申請者,得於本人入國居留許可後定居許可前申請。”

I think this is about ARC for spouse and minor children, but not TARC.