Tasering of suicide attemptor

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article2984318.ece

What the article doesn’t say is whether suicide is illegal in Scotland - I know it used to be in England. [/quote]
I’m sure the courts weren’t bringing corpses in charging the dead with suicide.

What a ridiculous law if it was real.
Or were people charged with attempting suicide?

Suicide being illegal… let’s examine that a moment.

Option 1: The suicide is successful. They try and convict the dead body. Absurd.
Option 2: The suicide is not successful. They try and convict the person at a time that the person is suffering from ultimate despair. A time when they need help, not punishment.

The entire idea of suicide being illegal is :loco:

Suicide being illegal… let’s examine that a moment.

Option 1: The suicide is successful. They try and convict the dead body. Absurd.
Option 2: The suicide is not successful. They try and convict the person at a time that the person is suffering from ultimate despair. A time when they need help, not punishment.

The entire idea of suicide being illegal is :loco:[/quote]

Attempted suicide is still illegal in so many countries, and was illegal in many western countries including Australia until the early 90s. A successful attempt is also an illegal act, demonstrably so, but one cannot prosecute a corpse, and so justice is never done (though it may be possible to launch a prosecution against their estate for loan defaulting, etc, in jurisdictions like Taiwan).

[quote=“cake”][quote=“Edgar Allen”]The Scottish Sun

What the article doesn’t say is whether suicide is illegal in Scotland - I know it used to be in England. [/quote]
I’m sure the courts weren’t bringing corpses in charging the dead with suicide.

What a ridiculous law if it was real.
Or were people charged with attempting suicide?[/quote]

Scottish law for the most part follows the laws of the UK. Being Scottish I can tell you that suicide is illegal in this country, and yes I think it’s a completely stupid, ridiculous law too. Having said that, I have attempted suicide myself on numerous occasions, the most that ever happened to me was a stiff telling off from my doctor.