TaTung Senior High school

Thansk for your suggestions… Since I,ll have 4 families so 4 moms, 4 dads and lots of sis and bros… I think i’ll make a general gift for the fmily, nothing too big… maybe put some maple candies in a canadian mugs and put other stuff in it and put a fram-photo album it with with my pic on it, and some quebec/canada pictures and I could fill the reste when I’ll be there… just liek a family album… and I think i’m going to buy maybe 2 ’ chicken soup for the soul’ books, I think it makes a great gift, yeah it’s in Enlgish, but i know my counselour speaks english and if someone gave me that book I would really apprrecite the symbolic gift…

Do yuou think they will like it?
I might buy 3-4 stuff animals for little bors and sis i’ll have… since my first family has a daughter who’s 4… we won’t be able to understand each other… but I think they are soo cute at that age! ehehe so i wanna give her something…

Valerie - I don’t know if you’re a guy or a girl, what with you having a french name and all but I’m assuming you’re a guy from the tone of your posts. The reason I bring that up is because:

You keep referring to your future ‘bros and sis’s’. When you get here, don’t be surprised if your host mother refers to you as ‘uncle’ rather than ‘bro’ with the kids. (uncle is ‘soo-soo’, tho’ if I’m mistaken and you’re a girl it’ll be ‘ai-yi’.) Just FYI so that when host mom #1 says to little bro/sis #1 “Tell soo-soo/uncle hello!” you’ll know what that means Unrelated men are always called soo-soo in that kind of context.

FB

Hey!

sorry I’m 100% woman… ehehe

And hmmm I won’t understand the way the will adress me at first so, will have time to adjust

I was really wondering what you thought about the idea i’ve got for the gifts???

thanks n c ya?

Fuzzball: why did you think I was a guy??

If you’re buying stuffed animals for the little ones try the ones that come in a can: moose in a can, bear in a can, etc. The kids pop up the lid and inside is a really cute little stuffed animal. You could also bring them something from Roots. Roots stuff is about double what it is in Canada. Bring a hat or sweatshirt.

Valerie - sorry, my bad. I guess I always associate ‘bro’ and ‘sis’ slang with guys . Well, then they’ll refer to you as ‘ai-yee’.

I think the idea of maple candy is cool. The ‘chicken soup’ books will be utterly lost on them. But, Mucha Man’s ideas about stuffed animals in a can is very nice for the kids.

FB

thanks for the can stuffed animal sugestion… but i’ve never seen such a thing… where can I find them? are they rally expensive??? I think it would be a great idea… as long as the can isn’t too big since ehe i don’t even know if i’ll be able to pack all the canadian things and my clothe in only 2 suitcases…

and yeah I,ll try to find some roots products to bring, didn’t know it was big over there…

and I,ll have some cdroms with hudreds of pictures form my provinces… so will copy them… coul still make great gifts…

yeah will have fine gifts that didn’t cost me a lot…

brrrr i’m so anxious to leave… in 31 days at the same time… i’ll be waiting at the airport ouwwwwww ehehe i’ve never tkaen a plane… i don’t know how the immigration thing will be there neither… i got my visa today!!! they gave me 2 and cancelled one coz they did a mistake of it… i had to enter to country before the date they issued it… ehehe

anyway, if you have more suggestion, fee free to tell

and hmmm what should i really not forget to bring? what products u know? and whats not necessary to bring? is it really cold in winter?

Thanks!
c ya!

quote:
Originally posted by Bu Lai En:

so I buy New Zealand wool and stuff for my gifts.

Bri,

A friend of mine wants to make some birthday crafts for a party in a couple of months and was looking into ordering wool from NZ.

Would you have any extra you might be willing to sell?

I think she called it “wool roving” and she just wanted to make some little dolls.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Valerie,

Hope you have a safe and not-too-bumpy flight. I just wanted to let you know about the Community Services Center (www.community.com.tw)

They have a great book out called Taipei Living but I’m not sure if you’d want to invest in it… it’s about US33.00 Information about living here, places to shop, but I know a lot of it may not be helpful to you.

They have counselling services if you find yourself in need of someone to talk to, and as a student, it may even be free (not sure).

I think you’re very brave to come here on your own. I came here as an adult/wife/mother and still found it difficult sometimes, but Taipei has grown on me. Will you have access to a computer? It was my lifeline and helped keep me sane, being so far from family and friends.

If you find yourself feeling homesick and want to meet fellow Canadians, there’s always the Canadian Society. I think they have family events about once a month and I’m sure they’d do their best to make you feel comfortable and welcome.

Good luck on your adventure!

Jennifer
My Taipei Baby
http://mytaipeibaby.tripod.com

quote[quote] Well, then they'll refer to you as 'ai-yee' [/quote]

Actually a lot of kids call young women in their 20s Jie Jie (big sister). My girlfriends was distraught the other day because a little girl had called her Ayi, so she must be getting old. Also, in my experience, most kids use the Taiwanese Bei Bei ratehr than Shu Shu for uncle.

Jennifer, I don’t have any wool. I just buy premade stuff like sweaters. But if your friend needs something, perhaps you could private message me and tell me exactly what you want and I could get someone to bring it over for you.

Bri

You should be able to find those animals in a can in any tourist area. Even the airport might have them. They’re not expensive. Less than $10 Canadian a can.

Oh, a lot of Taiwanese like Canadian ice-wine too.

Hey, I will look for these stuff animals It’s really interesting… and if i don’t find any… well i will buy stuffed animals and make them can… since i know a place where they do can shirts and other stuffs…

hmmmm well i had a little question about those qho know the school… could you tell me in which area of taipei it is? i have a map and would really like to stiaute it…
so thanks a lot!

24 days left!! eheh i,m really anxious, but a little scared… i’ve never taken a plane of my life and now i will have to do it all by myself since i’m traveling alone…

anyway