Tax exempt teaching?

i am talking with a private elementary school. they claim that if i work there i won’t have to pay taxes because school teachers in taiwan are tax exempt. can anyone verify such?

It’s true. Mrs Fluffy is a teacher in an elemetary school and she doesn’t pay taxes. That will change next year I believe. Whether the tax-free status applies to non-civil servants teaching in schools or foreigners, I don’t know…

Only if you’re a real qualified (and I expect that means with Taiwanese qualifications) teacher. I highly doubt a foreigner could ever get the tax-exemption. they’re probably either misinformed about this, or are just going to pay you under the table.

brian

Bu Lai En wrote [quote]Only if you’re a real qualified (and I expect that means with Taiwanese qualifications) teacher. I highly doubt a foreigner could ever get the tax-exemption. they’re probably either misinformed about this, or are just going to pay you under the table. [/quote]That’s not true. Elementary school teachers are exempt. I didn’t pay tax tax for 3 years at our elementary school providing an arc. Although I recently quit, the school still hires around 12 foreign teachers with the ‘no tax carrot’ their biggest lure.

Really? Well, I stand corrected.

Brian

thanks all.

Uh, the big lure is you dont pay 6% tax? Is it worth teaching large class sizes for 6%?

stevieboy wrote [quote]Uh, the big lure is you dont pay 6% tax? Is it worth teaching large class sizes for 6%?[/quote]No it is not. However, there are plenty of teachers who do it because they want to save every dollar they can.

Personally, I would never go back or choose to teach at an Elementary School over a kindergarten.

Does anybody know if this applies to government-run kindergartens?

[quote]Does anybody know if this applies to government-run kindergartens?[/quote]Good question. My experience is based on a private ES.