tax exemptions for married foreigners?

I got married last year and my spouse is living with me on a dependent ARC (no income source for her).

I am going to tax office tomorrow and I want to ask if I will get any discounts because of number of dependents?

I read this website
https://www.ntbt.gov.tw/etwmain/front/ETW118W/CON/1412/8951945763845253988?tagCode=

it says

There is an NT$90,000 deduction for a single person in the filing of income tax returns and an NT$180,000 deduction for a married couple filing a joint return.

Should I file for joint return? will I get more discount because of that?

It also says

There is an NT$85,000 exemption for each person (including taxpayer, his/her spouse and dependents) in the filing of income tax return of 2016 (NT$88,000 in 2017).

Does that mean I get 88000x2= 176k as exemption?

Thanks.

Make sure to bring your wife’s papers too, and your marriage cert. They should give you the exemption. I got it but had to show the marriage cert etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Do they require original marriage certificate or just a xerox copy?

I brought a notarized copy, and the original.

Same papers that you used to get the dependent ARC should be good to go

1 Like

Take the original and I’m pretty sure they’ll just take a copy of it at the office. I’ve never had to permanently submit originals of anything - the organization trusts the people at the front desk.

1 Like

Thanks all for help.

I went to tax office today morning. They asked for photocopy of marriage certificate, spouse’s ARC, passport etc. Got more tax exemption :slight_smile:

There was another lady there who had come to file tax. She had kids as dependents, she was asked to provide their birth certificates too. She did not have it at the time so the tax officer asked her to email the documents instead.

1 Like