Tax on income generated by investment/trading in stocks for foreigners

Dont’ quote me on this though. Please verify at your end.

Except very few countries withhold tax on capital gains at source. So this tax is due when you file taxes. If you are not a tax resident in the country of your broker, then aside from withheld taxes (likely for dividends), you are not filing taxes there. Therefore, you are not as you say, “pre-taxed” outside of Taiwan. The only place most expats file taxes (aside from Americans) is in Taiwan.

Where have you read that this income needs to have been taxed elsewhere? And most importantly the , “provable it was taxed outside of Taiwan” part!!! Is this information from a Taiwan CPA? Or just assumptions?

I pay taxes in the US. This source was from a Banker. I asked the question in case I need to move large amount of money into Taiwan and don’t want to be double taxed.

This is NOT related to ONLY capital gains tax. This is large sum of money aka cash (savings and etc.) that already been taxed.

Americans get shafted by their government tax-wise having to pay taxes while no longer being a resident. Crazy.

You should be fine. But if it is a large amount as you say, I personally wouldn’t trust what a banker says. IMHO, a call with a Taiwanese CPA is likely a good investment, just to be sure. Marco has a decent CPA he deals with I think, if you are interested. @Marco ?

1 Like

Yeah. I keep getting screwed over by people who will continue to take home a paycheque whether or not they do a good job.

1 Like

Here’s the AMT article I was provided.

Something to bear in mind, depending on how large an amount you are talking about: if it’s over US$100,000 you will need to get approval for the transfer from the Taiwan Central Bank.

Didn’t you have a CPA that is separate from your lawyer? (I am pretty sure this is your lawyer’s card, yes?)

1 Like

Whoops. Fixed.

1 Like