Tax payment deadline delayed because of COVID-19

Tax refunds are, in my experience, processed on August 1.

If you are leaving Taiwan for good, visit your local tax bureau to inform them to try to square things up. And as I’m sure you know, beware the 183 day rule which will affect your tax situation dramatically!

Guy

Does anyone know if we can file a 0 tax return? I started work in 2020, but would like to file a tax return. Is is possible?

You can’t file your 2020 return until 2021, unless you’re about to leave Taiwan and have no intention to return later in the year.

No I mean file a 2019 return showing 0 income

Were you in Taiwan for any part of 2019?

MY work permit was issued in december but I joined in 2020

What does this mean?

If you arrived in Taiwan in 2020, you need not / cannot file a tax return for 2019.

Guy

Yes I’m aware I don’t need to. But can I file a zero income zero tax return? Does the software accept that. ?

You can file 0 income however do you have to file at all? How much time did you spend in Taiwan in 2019?

Only 1 week in 2019 but no working. Just as a tourist. I wanted to file a 0 return not for Taiwan’s requirement but another tax requirement

You can go to the tax office and try but if you are a “full” foreigner you generally don’t have to file if you stayed less than 90 days in the year, unless you have some of the specific incomes listed.

Today is a good day my friends. I got my 130K NT$ tax refund today. My biggest tax bounty yet! :happyrunningaround:

I am going to use it to setup a company, and then reclaim it as a start-up expense in the next tax filing. :smiling_imp: (not sure how to do that but will look into it).

9 Likes

This year, they will have the extension only for confirmed cases and their contacts!

4 Likes

Deleted. Going to stop making jokes about this virus.

I was assuming they’d extend it again this year.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if they need to change their mind in the next month, when people working at the tax offices start catching it and requiring time off.

5 Likes

Just thinking about it, they should consider giving a discount of NT$200 or something for filing online to encourage people not to visit the tax office.

It’s not like the interest for filing late is a big disincentive, either.

2 Likes

Ohh, they were much faster:

Extension until the end of June for everyone now.

6 Likes

Haha, that didn’t take them long. Called it!

1 Like

Well, it’ll cost you more than NT$200 to do so.
Need the right computer, need the card reader (that’ll cost over NT$200, I’m guessing), need to go to health bureau and get set up, etc.

Make it NT$500 then, whatever.

In any case, a lot of Taiwanese apparently have card readers already (according to what I was told when complaining about needing to buy one to order masks a couple of years back).