Tax Rebate 2022

Hi does anyone know how I to get my tax rebate. I have not done anything to get back the 18% I was taxed for ages (I arrived after the cut off). Do I need to go to the tax office? I thought it was automatically calculated and refunded.

What period are to talking about? 2020, 2021?

Did you go to the tax bureau in May or June to lodge your tax return? If not you can still go to the tax bureau and lodge your tax for the 2021 year. They will ask you some questions. Just be honest.

I think they can still prepare you 2020 one as well.

Thanks! Do you know what documents I need?

Just your ID. Assuming your employer did everything correctly.

When exactly did you arrive?

November 2020

So you should have filed In May 2021 for 2020. Assuming you got paid before the end of 2020. No rebate.

And you should have filed in May 2022 for the year 2021. Depending on how much you earned and how much was taken by your employer, you may be due a rebate.

No rebate?

No rebate for 2020, but if you paid 18% in 2021 and 20222 there’s a rebate waiting for you

1 Like

In my experience, if you’re owed a rebate/refund, you can go into the tax offices any time after the deadline for completing your taxes (May in the year following your work). The offices are VERY friendly to foreigners. I know a person who has received a refund after almost a decade.

For most constituencies, there’s an office that will print out your income, taxes withheld, and other information. (on blue paper). It’s all automatically collected.

Usually there’s an office next door with a special agent that speaks English that will tell you what to write in each of the blanks on the tax form. They will ensure you receive the deductions you deserve (although if you have a family or a more complicated situation, you might want to check with other sources). In my experience, the agent has told me what to write in the blank step by step. You have to fill in the form by yourself, but they will tell you what number to put the blanks.

Every year I’ve worked I’ve received a refund, as the employers tend to deduct more taxes than is owed. Even when I’ve done “gigs” in addition to my university work, the overall taxes that I’ve paid through the deductions taken by my employer have more than made up for any extra income gained from these sources. You can select whether you want this refund direct deposited into your bank or as a cheque.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys.

1 Like

Turns out I couldnt get a rebate for 2020 because I wasnt here long enough which sucks, but got the one for 2021 (they’ll send a cheque).

Sorry to the mods for putting this in the wrong part of the forum haha

That is what people said. At least it is sorted.