Tax refund cheque mailed or go get it at tax office?

For some reason the mail at my place is not reliable…F______ing annoying.

Anyway…
I think the tax office will mail a refund to me sometime in early 2021 for the previous year (that seemed to be my understanding when I filed for a refund).

Hopefully I can ask them to keep it at the tax office and I go get it.

I will of course ask them but any idea if this is possible?

Of course I do not look forward to a cheque being lost in the mail and waiting until who knows how long to get another one issued…fun fun fun.

Thanks for any advice/insight.

Unless you’ve applied late or for something special, the tax office issues refunds in August/September.

You can provide your bank account details and they will deposit any refund directly to your account. Where I have opted for a cheque in the past, I’ve had to go and collect it in person from the tax office.

Thanks!
Any idea if I need to be in the country to get a tax refund?
I probably will be but who knows.
So long as I have a Taiwanese bank account to deposit the money into I would hope that I could arrange it from abroad.

You would likely need to be in the country to apply for it. It it’s already processed and you’ve given bank details for the refund, then you would not need to be here. There’s always the danger the bank will freeze your account or cut off overseas access if your ARC is no longer valid, but that’s another issue…

Really? How would the bank know your ARC is not valid?
Perhaps I should go to the bank to let them know when I renew my ARC.

Yes you should! If your ARC is out of date, any interest you earn will be taxed at a much higher rate, you also run the risk of some services (such as overseas withdrawal) being curtailed.