Tax refund "Gone missing"

I got an A.R.C with my school at the end of April 2003. I worked until Jan 2004, had a 2 month break and then returned and got a new ARC in April 2004.

I payed 6000 in tax for 6 months in 2003, 3000 in tax for 4 months in 2003/2004 and $ 6000 for 4 months in 2004. For 2 months in 2004 I payed no tax at all - I am not sure exactly why?

My concern is I have still not received my tax refund. My school has told me that this is 'still being processed ’ although I thought the cut off date was May.

Any advice out there? What are my entitlements?

[quote=“vissnz”]I got an A.R.C with my school at the end of April 2003. I worked until Jan 2004, had a 2 month break and then returned and got a new ARC in April 2004.

I payed 6000 in tax for 6 months in 2003, 3000 in tax for 4 months in 2003/2004 and $ 6000 for 4 months in 2004. For 2 months in 2004 I payed no tax at all - I am not sure exactly why?

My concern is I have still not received my tax refund. My school has told me that this is 'still being processed ’ although I thought the cut off date was May.

Any advice out there? What are my entitlements?[/quote]
Who filed your taxes?
You could always go to the local tax office and ask them. :wink:

Do follow Vannyel’s advice about checking with the tax office.

It doesn’t hurt to give them a call and ask about the existence of your 2003 tax return application. Have your taxpayer ID and taxpayer code number handy, so you can impress them with your preparedness.

Taxpayer ID = ARC or APRC or passport number
Taxpayer Code Number = birth year + birth month + birthdate + first two characters of name that appears first on Taxpayer ID (i.e. 19760518RA) [if they can’t find your record with the first two characters, substitute with the first two characters of the next name, etc., just in case of clerical reporting errors; oh, and try Western and local (Western-11) birth years, if all else fails]

Taipei National Tax Administration
2 Chung hwa Road, Sec. 1
T: 2311-3711 ext. 1116, 1118

If you do have a refund, you can just go and pick it up. I was silly and presumed that since the year before they mailed me a notice informing me of a refund, that they would do so again the following year. After a ridiculous wait of about 6 months, I finally just stopped by the office and picked up the check that was sitting there the whole time. Take your ID and you can cash the check right in the office, if their bank is open and the return doesn’t exceed their maximum.

If you don’t have a refund and you’ve made absolutely sure there is no record of a tax return for you in some shape or form, then armed with the info you may question your school about the progress of the tax return. If no action, then tell them that you’d like to contact the office yourself. If that doesn’t get them to act, then I’m not sure what else you can do cuz then it sounds like they’re stiffing you as well as the govt. :unamused: :astonished: I’ve never worked in a school, so my input’s kinda limited to getting the tax info. Hopefully other teachers can offer alternatives.

And always ask for/keep copies of all important documents and filled forms.

Thanks for the detailed replies.

I will check for evidence of a tax return application - then question my school if need be.

On tealit.com they mention that tax refunds may be processed in May and sent out November - can anyone comment on this?

Cheers guys :wink:

the amount of time necc to get your taxes back varies considerably:

in chung li, it was 3 months from the day i filed. this was consistent for over 5 years.

in taoyuan (slightly bigger city), when i asked about 3 months, they laughed at me and said six months minimum - it took almost 7.

the people in those offices vary considerably in their politeness too - chung li consistently very helpful, while taoyuan hardly so, but slowly improving.