Tax refund if leaving Taiwan early


Hello all,

Trying to get some information. I work for a Taiwanese company. In 2016 I had 242 days and I filed for tax refund in May of 2017. I should get the refund by Sep/Oct.

In 2017 I already have more than 183 days. I will be leaving end of October. For the tax refund do I have to wait till next year to file it or do I have to file it before I leave Taiwan. Any suggestions on that?


Found this page.

3 Foreigners staying in the R.O.C. over 183 days in one calendar year will be required to file their annual income of the previous year to the Tax Bureau and pay the corresponding taxes during the period from May 1st to May 31st of the current year. However, those leaving the country in the middle of the year will be required to file income earned in that year prior to departure.


If my memory serves me you can file if you have an air ticket out and maybe sign a form stating you will not be returning. To actually get any money before the end of the year you need a local guarantor who becomes liable should you have additional income.


And iirc you’re supposed to file within seven days of your departure.


Hi, i’m leaving for holiday before my 183 days, will my days continue when I get back after 3 weeks? I have a resident visa, does that make a difference?


Yes, you just need 183 days total between Jan 1 and Dec 31.


thank you!!


FYI tax refunds are paid out Aug 1. They arrive overnight.


You can get the tax refund for your 2016 tax period on August 1st. However, for the 2017 taxes you filed for this year too (am I correct?) if you don’t have a gurantor in Taiwan, or someone who can get the money for you then transfer to your account, the tax office would be willing to transfer to your bank via a swift code. At least, that’s what they told me last May when I inquired about this. You can also try to ask if you can work out some sort of arrangement with them, but you should ask in person.


Thanks for the information all. Appreciate it. My company can take the money for me or I can provide them my Taiwanese Bank Account detail for direct deposit.

The problem is once I quit the current job, they will be dues which would be paid next month. Can I still file taxes in 2018 after I leave? Or it is mandatory for it to be done before I depart?


HR should give you an updated tax certificate before you leave the company. You will need that tax certificate for filing next year, assuming you’re still in Taiwan, together with your other tax certificate next year if you’re employed elsewhere by then.

But if you’re leaving Taiwan after this employer, then just go to the tax office before leaving the country and show that tax certificate. Though it isn’t tax season yet, the tax office will settle all your current taxes if you tell them you’re leaving Taiwan for good.


Thanks a lot that was a very good explanation. Appreciate it. Will do that and update what happens. But the taxes can be only settled if I have 183 days, it would be no point if I have less than 183 days to bother with it correct.

Thanks again.


Passing the 183 day mark means you’re a resident for tax purposes, so you have a different tax rate and can claim deductions. If you’re not a resident for tax purposes, you still can (or need to) file.


What yyy said. Best to drop by the tax office before you leave, and settle what needs to be settled. I knew someone who left China with some unpaid tax and had a problem while they were here in Taiwan. They had problems applying for a credit card. I know it’s a different country, but you get the picture.


Hello, I am having a very similar question.

I am leaving in a week, but for sure I will be returning next April or May for a week. I wonder if it is mandatory to file my tax for 2017 now already or can I do it next year when I return.

The reason I opt for filing it next year is that when I quit earlier this year my company did not provide me the new tax certificate, I am not even sure if they have already settled all the tax amount deducted each month since it is not yet tax season.