Tax

I wanna know about tax …

I know about the first 183 days and the 20% and then the next 181 days and the 6%.

1. How much of this do you claim back ?
  2. When exactly do you claim this back ?
  3. If you leave after six months or before your contract is finished, can you still claim tax ?
  4. If you quit one job, move to the next, all in one year, can you still claim a tax return from he tax that you have paid ?
    Thanx

I’d just like to add to this question. I’ve done my first six months on a work permit paying the 20% tax. When can I get a refund? Do I wait til the end of the tax year, or can I apply now?

Bri

You’ll have to wait until the end of the tax year. File you return as soon as you can after they start accepting returns in order to get your rebate as quickly as possible.

“I wanna know about tax …
I know about the first 183 days and the 20% and then the next 181 days and the 6%.”

1. How much of this do you claim back ?

Most of it:-) There are a number of different deductions you can make. I think that I got back about $40000 from the $50000 I paid in tax last year

1. When exactly do you claim this back ?

Your employer should give you a tax with holding statement some time just before or after the Chinese New Year. You then take that to your nearest Tax Office.

1. If you leave after six months or before your contract is finished, can you still claim tax ?

You mean when you leave the country? I dont know:-) The tax guide says this, but I do not know if this is what you meant:

‘If a resident of the ROC intends to depart and will not return, the amounts for exemptions and standard deduction shall be calculated on the basis of a proportion to the total days in which he has resided in the ROC prior to his departure.’

1. If you quit one job, move to the next, all in one year, can you still claim a tax return from he tax that you have paid ?

If everything is done legally, and you have not been deported, yes. Make sure you get a tax statemnet from your employer when you leave. I am not sure if it would be wise to leave and then expect your ex-employer to mail out this statement in February. This is Taiwan after all.

I have ‘cut and pasted’ both the Chinese and English version of the Guides For Foreign Taxpayers, from the Taiwan Tax Bureau, on this page: http://geocities.com/teach_taiwan/tax_guide.htm

Note however that Article 22 states:

“Should the English translation of these instructions differ with the Chinese text of relevant law, the Chinese text shall govern.”