Taxes: 20% or 6%?

Someone help me make sure I understand the tax situation for teachers in Taiwan. :s If you begin working before July 1st, you get 20% taken from your check but get it all back the following year at tax time? When do you permanently revert to a lower tax bracket (I thought I read 6% somewhere), or does that never happen?

When evaluating a job salary and planning to start in June of '09, can taking off 20% from the listed salary give me an accurate reflection of my take home pay for the next 12 months??? :ponder:

As far as I know you have to spend a minimum of 186(?) days/year in Taiwan in order to qualify for the lower tax bracket.

183 days in one calendar year, jan 1st to dec 31st, then the tax is all payed at 6% (or higher if you earn into the next bracket as well). 183 days is 1/2 day more than half a year. if you start in june you’re OK, as long as you stay in country until the end of the year.

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=41954&start=0

:eh:
Methinks I understand know.

[quote=“71Classic”]Someone help me make sure I understand the tax situation for teachers in Taiwan. :s If you begin working before July 1st, you get 20% taken from your check but get it all back the following year at tax time? When do you permanently revert to a lower tax bracket (I thought I read 6% somewhere), or does that never happen?

When evaluating a job salary and planning to start in June of '09, can taking off 20% from the listed salary give me an accurate reflection of my take home pay for the next 12 months??? :ponder:[/quote]

as mentioned in the other thread by moi, my hr people insist that henceforth there is no permanent reversion to the low bracket…the counter resets every Dec. 1 or Jan. 1 so you are taxed 20% until the 183rd day of each year!..however they haven’t been able to give me documentary proof of this…