Taxes on income at kindergartens and elementary schools

Howdy y’all. I was just informed of a new “policy” to tax foreigners (and only foreigners) on income earned at kindergartens and elementary schools.

I don’t normally work in this places, but I am teaching in a special program sponsored by the Ministry of Education at a Taichung Elementary school this summer. They told me that the new policy mandates that foreigners be taxed for this income, but for Taiwanese citizens, it is still tax free.

Would my status as the spouse of a Taiwanese citizen with an open-work permit affect my tax status in this regard?

Thanks.

Even though you teach in an elementary school, you are not legally a teacher, so you don’t get the tax break.

What is the rationale for this? Their foreign teachers in the past didn’t have to pay tax on this income. The tax office in Taichung said that this was a NEW policy this year affecting foreigners.

Interesting question. I’ve been working at an Elementary school for 4 years. I haven’t had to pay tax there and also haven’t heard a new rule stating otherwise. There was talk of such a rule last year though. Just because you’re a foreigner? Suspicious. Still as far as I know, Elementary School Teachers are exempt from paying tax.

Hey Amos, I’m curious as to how much an elementary teacher makes…Do you teach 30+ class sizes?..Paid vacations?..Lots of lesson planning?..Pros? Cons?

stevieboy wrote [quote]Hey Amos, I’m curious as to how much an elementary teacher makes…Do you teach 30+ class sizes?..Paid vacations?..Lots of lesson planning?..Pros? Cons?[/quote]

Steve, I started a new topic in Teaching in Taiwan to answer this. Amos.
Link here … forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=11182&highlight=