Taxi and covid prevention

Hello, I am coming to Taiwan for two months with my family.
We would like to travel together with my mother in law, but since she is quite old and we are worried about covid, we would like to avoid public transportation.
If we are 4 and we take a cab, is there any taxi with glass separation between driver and passengers? If so, I guess we should ask for a larger car, since in a normal car you have 3 + 1 passenger on the front.
I also have international driving license, but I have no experience with rental cars in Taiwan. Before Covid, I always moved around with train-bus-taxi.
Thank you

i havent seen any of these taxis in Taipei itself.
renting a car here is the same as any other country, but driving here and parking here can be annoying.

ok, so excluding covid taxis, all other taxis are operating normally, just wearing masks?
Yes I have been driving, but the car was borrowed from a relative. I have never had the need to rent. I don’t even know if it is better economically than taking a taxi for a whole day, considering parking, fuel and tolls.

I havent been in a “covid taxi” but the regular taxis/uber are just masks. Dirty as they were 10 years ago unless you luck out and get a more ocd styled driver. Dont expect much. If you worry, perhaps consider renting a car and sterilizing it prior to use. Hard to avoid now, covid is everywhere and normal and sanitation is still basically zero here as it was pre covid.

1 Like

yes, all other taxis are normal, just mask.
renting vs taxi depends on where you are going and what you want to do.
renting a car will be more worthwhile if you do plenty of short trips. if the car will be parked most of the day,its better to get a taxi.
a rental is around 2,200 nt a day, you can do your own math if its worth it or not.

3 Likes

You can call the company, for example Taiwan Taxi or Tafung, and book a minivan. I know some even have ramps for wheelchairs. You can book a taxi for the day and have a special rate, they can take you to tourist spots and such.

Normal taxis won’t have partitions. Allegedly taxi drivers must be vaccinated and wear masks at all times and cars are supposed to be disinfected regularly.

2 Likes