Taxi Scam Stories

Yeah I don’t often take cabs in other cities in a Taiwan but just speaking for Taipei’s cabs there’s a pretty consistent level of professionalism that I haven’t experienced in other countries.

You reminded me in when I left the army base in hsinchu to go home, taxi drivers there knew when we were going home and lined up outside. They didn’t want to use the meter and some even tried to charge per head instead of one single ride. Imagine them doing that in the US to soldiers. I heard it’s ljke that in some places where there’s no official taxi meter.

… and betel nut!

Binlang legs… gas, brake, go, stop, repeat once per second.

1 Like

I honestly haven’t encountered a noticeable betel nut user in a really long time now. When I went to grade school in Keelung the mini school bus/shuttle driver who picked me up and dropped me off always had that red tinge to his mouth, but I don’t come across them at all these days.

Probably because I’m snooty and never take the junk cabs…

Usage seems to have gone in Taipei by a lot in recent years. Outside Taipei is a different matter though.

Oh yeah just head down past Taoyuan lol.
Don’t remember being scammed by taxi drivers, the Taoyuan taxi mafia did threaten to beat myself and my friend up though.

I got scammed or they try to scam me in almost all countries I’ve visited. Uber really save me a lot of money and nerves.

What happened?

I know a few people that have been beat up or knocked in the head by taxi drivers or taxi gangs that show up to assist. Usually the taxi is overreacting but at least one case the guy deserved it.

Nothing happened, was just a barney over nothing and we scarpered off. Taoyuan train station used to be infamous for taxi gangsters.