Teacher accused of allegedly embezzling school funds?

This notice appeared in the CPOST yesterday, a paid ad.
The ad must have cost around NT$10,000 to place in the paper. What’s going on here?

It reads:

NOTIFICATION

1. Alexander K____, a Canadian …, born September 2, 19__, has embezzled money from the X___H___ Language Institute and has been missing without explanation since 21 August. The missing money was payment from three secondary schools in Taiching to the XH Language Institute.

2. The said institute takes no responsibility for any of Mr K___'s future behavior or actions.

3. Mr K____, please clarify this matter within three days of this notice, otherwise you will be held legally accountable for your actions.

It’s a darn good thing I didn’t give them my real name, guess they’re serious about finding me! :laughing:

But seriously, that’s tragic. I think whoever this character is, if he’s still on the island, he’s going to have trouble getting away. Just goes to prove that being dishonest and cheating others only gets one in trouble! :bulb:

Mianbao, the only thing that’s tragic is that the China Post stoops to publish such slander, knowing full well that the teacher in question will not resort to legal action against them. Remember that this teacher must be presumed innocent. Why? Because he has not been proven guilty in a court of law. Maybe the boss is just pissed with him and wants to sabotage said teacher’s chances of finding other employment. Maybe he has no intention of pursuing legal action. Who knows?

I don’t really blame the boss - he’s pissed and probably has his reasons, valid or not. I do blame the China Post for such totally unscrupulous standards in selling advertising space. Honestly, a high school newspaper would know better than to publish that kind of bullshit. Aren’t the staff there embarrassed? Do they have no shame? :blush: :unamused: :cry:

Sorry, Maoman, I failed to even think about that side of things. As I know not either side’s story I can’t place blame whatsoever. Never thought about the oddity of it being published in the paper, however upon recognizing this now I, too, have to wonder about this, but think it relates to one all too familiar thing- Money! Not that they still shouldn’t be ashamed, but people/companies/organizations often do things they later regret in order to better their situation and/or status. Take this sorry chap for example, should this ad ring of truth, or the author should it be as you mentioned an act backed by anger or revenge. :wink:

It’s libel. I presume Taiwan has libel laws ? Not for foreigners of course.

Idiots. They obviously didn’t enough negetive feedback from that whole South African fiasco a while back. They’ll be missing my $NT15 starting this morning.

Actually, Taiwan has very strict libel laws. If he actually didn’t do the crime, he should have no trouble seeking justice. And The China Post will be fined by the GIO for the ad–and it won’t be a first for them. Ever wonder why the Post has more English teaching, etc., ads than the other papers? That’s because the other papers refuse to accept ads for jobs that don’t offers work permits (aka illegal job ads).
As for this guy, if he did do it, I hope he’s off having fun somewhere.
Does anyone remember when some guy supposedly embezzled the Anderson school?

Refresh my memory. What was the S African fiasco a while back?

nanfeiren, click after the dotted line…segue.com.tw/viewtopic.php?t=4157

Actually, looks like you’ll need to cut the link and post it to your broeser.

FLICKA WROTE: "Ever wonder why the Post has more English teaching, etc., ads than the other papers? That’s because the other papers refuse to accept ads for jobs that don’t offers work permits (aka illegal job ads). "

But if this is true, and is it? can you confirm…?.. then why do the other papes AND the Post also allow those “service” ads for illegal prostitution posing as massage services. We all know what they young female things do when they come to your home or hotel room? The three papers take those ads, as does TMIT? Is money so important to these guys?

How can the Post on the one hand condemn the sex trade and then on the other hand, take money from the sex trade with those “service” ads. Who’s servicing who? Who’s blowing who? And you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing, do you?

Weird.

So the Taipei Times refuses illegal bushiban ads for teachers without arcs, but it takes money for sex ads and blow jobs and even tranvestittie massages! Whatta world!

I guess it all depends upon who’s buttering the bread?

Hi,
If I remember correctly, sometime in the early or mid 90s the Taiwan News decided it would be moral and not accept ads for illegal teaching jobs. (The News ran stories about this, to let the public know they were the moral choice.) It looks like the Taipei Times followed the Taiwan News in this.

The sex ads you see in the papers aren’t really sex ads, you see, because they are for “massage.” (In many US States, you cannot advertise massage services unless you hold professional certification, which I doubt holds true in Taiwan.) Don’t think for a minute the paper police aren’t doing their job – one of the papers got fined big time for running an ad years ago put out by a redheaded gigolo. (Notice none of the ads offer foreign, um, massage therapists.)
The sex and teacher ads don’t really scare me. What scares me is the guy at the GIO who used to call the papers and complain to them (he used to actually have some pull in getting stories altered or pulled) when he saw news he wasn’t comfortable with or that “hurt Taiwan’s image” (for instance, anything to do with, heaven forbid, the gay community.)

I very much doubt that the Taipei Times checks to see if the bushibans are legal, or if the jobs are legal. Seeing they don’t even fact-check their own stories, I can’t see them doing any checks on advertisers.

Does the GIO have an agent in every paper who, sometime in the evening, calls up his handler and says what’s going to be in the next day’s paper, then?

Not sure what the Taipei Times’ ad policy is now.

No, what would happen is the next day a certain foreign person would call the paper and say, “You shouldn’t have printed this or that, it hurts Taiwan’s image, etc.”. The reporter, fearing trouble, of course won’t bother to write any followups.