Teacher Network

I’ve been waiting for someone else to start this thread, but now I will take the lead and kick this thing off. (And I don’t want this to sound like Aristotle and his S.S.E.T [secret society of English Teachers])

Recently I have been connecting with another Forumosan, an extension school (buxiban) boss, and discussing ideas and methods with him. I am not new to the teaching scene, with six years under my belt, but I feel changed and revitalised by the exchanges that we have had. It’s nice to get around people that aren’t directly involved with what you are doing that also have a passion for this “calling” that we have.

We become like those we associate with. Iron sharpens iron. Birds of a feather, and all that Jazz.

The great thing is that I have discovered this “network”, as small as it is, to be mutually beneficial and encouraging. Now, rather than keeping this idea to myself, I’d like to put it forward for all of you who have a passion for teaching English the right way in Taiwan to start hooking up. Share your passion. Share your ideals. What gets you on fire for teaching? What do you struggle with? What would you like to do better? What are you great at?

I’ve taken off since I started “networking” with like minded people. It’s changed the way I feel about my work and life in general. It’s so easy to forget about your purpose and lose your passion when you are isolated or not part of a bigger picture.

See, this is what happens when 2 people get together and talk, help each other, and provide general support. I know that Forumosa in general does that, but I am talking about something more specific to teaching, and not neccessarily confined to the teaching forum.

I know that there are people out there that are thinking like me too. So, who are you?

This is not Bassman looking for help. This is Bassman sharing something that has worked for him. Maybe it will work for you too.

Let me share a quote with you from Sir Peter Blake, a New Zealander that was famous for sailing and environmental causes, just before he was murdered by pirates on the Amazon. This is a quote from his journal on the day he was murdered.

[quote]If we are hot then you know it is now, not last week or last year.

To win, you have to believe you can do it. You have to be passionate about it. You have to really “want” the result, even if this means years of work.

The hardest part of any big project is to begin.

We have begun, we are underway, we have a passion.

We want to make a difference.

Kind regards,

Peter. [/quote]

These words are resounding in my mind on a daily basis.

Do you want to make a difference?

Sign me up, but you knew that before.

What gets me burning are ideas that work, well, with every teacher in nearly any class. I like making my own materials. I like seeing them published. I love seeing other people use the stuff successfully.

and now…back to class.:slight_smile:

I like videos.

Choose a funny movie, etc.

Do a bit of preteaching of vocab, grammar, theme, whatever.

Show 5-20 minutes of video. (I usually leave the Chinese subtitles on, unless the level is really high)

Works with everybody.

Beginners:
What color is his shirt?
What’s he wearing?
What’s he doing?
Repeat a cool (or aproriate) line.

Intemediate and advanced:

Ask them to recount what happened.
Pause and get them to describe a scene.
Ask them to predict what’s about to happen. (If they haven’t seen the movie)
Ask what they would do if they were character X.
This can lead into some great moral discussions. e.g. If boy was seeing two girls. “What would you do if that was you’re boyfriend Amy?”
“What would you do if that happened to you Jack?”

Then go on into, “Do you think having an affiar is wrong? Why?”
Do you think marriage is a good idea?
(If the response is no ask) “What if a woman/man wants to have kids? Do you think it’s a good idea to stay unmarried? Why?”

Endless hours of fun. (And I can get by with calling it teaching :smiley: )

Having to sift through threads that go off track to find the gems. :rainbow:

:blush:

I would like to see my kids 5-7 yr/old read one book every two weeks. The more they read the better. Currently my kids have to memorize the book. I get through two pages a week. There are only three sentences on the page. I love teaching reading. I have had my greatest successes teaching reading. The kids love to read. They like to talk about what they read. I feel expanding reading programs even for younger students would be a big benefit.

I stuggle with the misuse and over reliance on workbooks. Too many books in a class leaves less time for actually learning and using what they learn. Every book has to be used because “the parents paid for it”. It often becomes busy work to fill in the blanks.

how many pages in the book total amy?

I can help you teach them faster. :slight_smile:

Bassman,
great idea. I would be nice if this could be made into a sticky and a monthly meeting. I surely need the networking as I could use the freshing up on my skills. Maybe we can kick start this thing soon with a brunch or something. I especially need some guidence on teaching phonics and reading to kids…

I happen to know a great place for such a meeting. Half way between Taipei and Bassman’s heart. :slight_smile:

How about setting an agenda? 15 minute presentations? Q & A? Free coffee? Neck rubs? Tear Tissues?

Run this all through Bassman. He likes organizing things in the middle. :slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”]I happen to know a great place for such a meeting. Half way between Taipei and Bassman’s heart. :slight_smile:

How about setting an agenda? 15 minute presentations? Q & A? Free coffee? Neck rubs? Tear Tissues?

Run this all through Bassman. He likes organizing things in the middle. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Here I go, the meat in the sandwich. :smiley:

See, this thing is starting to shape up a bit like the game club. Only thing is, it will be ok to talk shop. Yeah!

I’ll have a chat with my people. See, we’re having another baby really soon, but there’s a pretty good chance of having a get together before my wife has the next boy.

Ok, an agenda.

How about.

• Meet everyone
  • T.P.R and the basics
  • A revolutionary idea for T.P.R and phonics (I know a guy who does this well).
  • Once we’re all comfortable with each other, well, how about a brief introduction of what each of us do, how we do it, and what we’d like to change.
  • Lead on to Q&A
  • Coffee (we wouldn’t want people to think that teachers like to drink)

:wink:

• Make contacts and stay in touch.

BTW, Namahottie, we’re into phonics in a big way - reading too, that is what it is for. P.M me and share a little.

If we can get enough people. Hmmm, I think Saturday week might be a go.

Location… to be advised.

I like keeping it real, so can you bring the Irish creme? :wink:

OK Bassman-
I am officially joining in my long distance capacity :slight_smile:

Feel really good about what you are doing - and look forward to hearing some flow on effects.

Very interested in using TPR- I use it here in New Zealand with english speakers to get them to extend their vocab and comprehension. Got it from some Early Childhood Teachers from Taiwan I taught here a few years ago.

Hope you take good notes :slight_smile:

R

I didn’t read the whole first post, but judging from the responses and the title I’m in :slight_smile:.

I have three different workbooks (Fingerprints series if anyone wants to know) to do AND they want me to fill up this end of the year book with extra worksheets that I have them do (but I can send those home as “homework”).

I wouldn’t really call it a problem, but I’m only there half day and it adds up to a lot of coloring.

Ok, all the local teachers here are going away for training on the 9th of April. I have the whole day free. So, the afternoon is looking pretty good.

Either that or the 10th, my day of rest.

Miltownkid,

Fingerprints. I’ve seen it and passed on it for a bilingual program. How well does it really work for immersion classes? The book isn’t that important. BTW, I loved the review stuff that you had on your site a while back. Over-acting, no way! Even I could work out what was going on.

Seriously, it’s great to see some people that are serious about what they are doing. Let’s get a few more eh.

Bassman[quote]I’ve been waiting for someone else to start this thread, but now I will take the lead and kick this thing off. (And I don’t want this to sound like Aristotle and his S.S.E.T [secret society of English Teachers]) [/quote]

[quote]BTW, Namahottie, we’re into phonics in a big way - reading too, that is what it is for. P.M me and share a little.
[/quote]

Perhaps it is a “secret society of English teachers” after all. :notworthy:

I think the PM was in reference to the secret meeting place. :slight_smile:

Or perhaps Bman’s hidden phone number. :slight_smile:

I’m working on the handshake…or maybe it should be a Ugandan belly slap greeting. hmmm?

Watching this thread. If it’s a sunny day, let’s have the meeting outside! :wink:

I’m not carrying a fargin whiteboard outside! lol

I suggest though, if we go outside, we go to a park and have a teach-off…round up the local kiddies and see who can keep them there longest…no ropes!

No holds barred EFL! :laughing:

Thanks for the kind words Bassman. I’m teaching at a bilingual school right now. I personally think the books are too easy, but whatever.

This network thing could be really cool. There’s a lot of places my teaching skills need work that I’m sure others could comment about.

For instance, my mom pointed out to me today (she helped me in class) that I really need to do some lesson planning. I feel a little embarrassed saying it, but every time I try make a plan nothing really comes to mind. She gave me some tips today that’ll help and said she’d send me some lesson plan templates when she gets home (she’s a teacher).

I’d also like to learn about all the cool teaching techniques that are out there. I’ve read up on them in the past, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in action. My personality keeps the kids happy with anything I do, but if I could be more efficient and effective I’d be all ears.

I’ll be busy with my mom till Monday, but you’ll be seeing more comments from soon.

No holds barred EFL! :laughing:

Thanks for the kind words Bassman. I’m teaching at a bilingual school right now. I personally think the books are too easy, but whatever.

[/quote]

It’s the activities that I wouldn’t have time for. I don’t know how I’d go about the activities without going crazy. :noway:

I think “the lesson” can be taught without much activity, in the traditional sense of the word. I don’t like games. I suck at running them. But, you can teach in such a way that mentally activates the childmind…keeps them involved and thinking…and somewhat scared to get lost. :slight_smile: