Teacher with Bachelor of Education -Pay is?

Hi!

I am a teacher going to Taiwan from Canada in November. I graduated with a B.Ed degree from University of Toronto and have taught in the Public school system for 6 years, music and grade 7/8.
What is the rate of pay for a teacher with lots of experience, a Education degree and is willing to stay until July 2005 in Taiwan?
I know the pay should be different if you teach at a Kindergarden, Public school system or buxiban.
Ideally, I would like to teach at a Kindergarden.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions,
Thanks!

I’d say that although most kindergarten bosses would be extremely happy to have someone with with a Bachelor of Education, the amount of extra money you’ll be able to command would be negligent. Ballpark figure $NT66K if you’re lucky, then take away your tax. You might be better of looking at the Elementary Schools. My previous Elementary had starting off salaries of $NT72K (NO TAX as it’s private) providing you have any degree and a TEFL/RSA CELTA. Having an Education degree would give you about another $NT2K a month I presume.

Hi!

Thanks for your advice.
How do you apply for an Elementary school in Taipei? School by school or is there a central board? Also, I would be applying in November. That might be a problem as schools have started already.
Also, how did you find the teaching conditions in the school you taught in?

Thanks!

Another option for you would be an international school. These schools require certified teachers. The students are either children of foreign nationals or of dual passport holders.

There are several in Taipei such as Taipei American School and Taipei British School. In Taichung, there’s Lincoln American School and I think Morrison Academy is one as well.

I think pretty much any place you sign up with is going to want you to stay for at least a year, though.

[quote]Thanks for your advice.
How do you apply for an Elementary school in Taipei? School by school or is there a central board? Also, I would be applying in November. That might be a problem as schools have started already.
Also, how did you find the teaching conditions in the school you taught in?

Thanks![/quote]

KelloHitty.

1. Applying for an Elementary Schhol is just the same as applying for a Kindergarten. If you see it advertised, then apply. No special society that I’m aware of.
  2. See above.
  3. Yes, that whole November thing isn’t good. Although, I do know that my old school maybe looking for a new teacher around November. I can make some calls if you want to go this route.
  4. Teaching conditions, mmmmm, that’s why I’m no longer at the school. I dunno mate. At my particular school you always seemed to be flat out.
    I remember writing about my experiences at the Elementary School somewhere a while back. Do a search for Elementary and amos.

Hi!

I am getting an interview from TAS in November but they are hiring for next year. They start interviewing really early for teachers. And you are right, they do require a B.Ed degree.
I have not hear of Morrison, are they American? And do you know which subway stop they are closest to?

Thanks!

Kellohitty,
Morrison is in Taichung, about, if I recall correctly, two hours from Taipei by train. It is an American run school. They do have a website but I don’t have the address handy. Google it under Morrison Christian Academy. School is over 50 years old now and does have several satelite schools over Taiwan. One is Bethany Christian School, in Taipei. Check out their website but be advised that they are a Christian school and as such do have specific requirements which you may or may not be willing to conform to. Their hiring info is on the site. I attended high school there many years ago.It’s a good school with a very good history, however I didn’t personally apply there as I do have a few issues around the expectations of staff. Oddly enough I also had issues as a student… must have been my attitude…

There’s a list of international schools on this page:
internationaleducationmedia. … chools.htm

For TAS they generally want someone with teaching experience both in the US and in another country, preferrably Taiwan. I’ve heard that because of how cushy the jobs there are, they are also picky about nationalities and would hire an American over a Canadian. But then again, I am not the personnel department for the school. There are other schools that hire qualified teachers beside the Taiwanese schools. If you don’t mind teaching early childhood, there’s quite a few international schools that cater to overseas Chinese families and expatriates. My school is one of them. If you are looking for something part-time for the time being (so you can spend time working on studying Chinese or whatever) with a chance of becoming full-time, contact me.

Thanks for the heads up ImaniOU about TAS.
I definately agree that they might prefer to hire an American rather than a Canadian. I will definately look into other schools that might need a qualified teacher.

I have another question:
Since there seems to be an issue of schools and other places that teach English hiring underqualified teachers, why would the amount of extra money a qualified teacher is able to command be negligent? That is quite puzzling as Taiwanese people do value (over value) a peice of paper.

[quote=“kellohitty”]Thanks for the heads up ImaniOU about TAS.
I definately agree that they might prefer to hire an American rather than a Canadian. I will definately look into other schools that might need a qualified teacher.

I have another question:
Since there seems to be an issue of schools and other places that teach English hiring under qualified teachers, why would the amount of extra money a qualified teacher is able to command be negligent? That is quite puzzling as Taiwanese people do value (over value) a piece of paper.[/quote]
These schools aren’t hiring under qualified teachers according to the Ministry of Education. It is my understanding that a qualified teacher at a buxiban is a passport holder from a native English speaking country, has a BA degree (or a very good fake one), and is breathing. Your ‘extra’ qualifications at a buxiban simply aren’t worth anything to the owner of the school.
Now will TAS and other schools that require certification and teaching credentials pay you enough to relocate to Taiwan…only you know the answer to that.
Naturally, those teachers with certification, teaching credentials, etc. consider those without these things to be under qualified.

Vannyel: I thank you for reminding me of something I can’t believe I forgot about Taiwanese business people. It’s all about the bottom line. And hiring the exact qualifications specified by the ministry would definately be parallel with the bottom line philosphy.

hellohitty, you seem to think that to Taiwanese a highly qualified teacher in Taiwan means someone with a degree in the field of Education, relevant experience in the education field and a genuine ability to teach kids and give them an outstanding education.

I was under the impression that Taiwanese consider a highly qualified teacher to be someone with a North American accent, white with stereotypical caucasian features, a BA from a North American school and being a passport holder of North America and some select other english speaking countries, who can entertain kids, get new business and not try to succeed in actually teaching kids or trying to have any methodology or ideology about education that does not flow with the parents or hiring school’s. A teacher who is a white monkey who jumps around the classroom, gets paid in bananas and does not get renumeration for outside classroom work (hallway, playground monitoring, test marking, class preparation) and belches North American ideal and culture on cue would be the most ideal Taiwanese English teacher for the Buxiban.

Please correct me if I am mistaken. :laughing:

If your sole desire is to make money, you may have better luck in Philadelphia, or Chicago. As well as southern Florida, as for qualified teachers with your history, their pay would be double what you would get in Taiwan due to a teacher shortage and recruitment drive going on in those areas.

webdoctors: I totally recind my previous post pertaining to the definition of a qualified teacher in Taiwan and will quote your discription from now on. Ooooo, I love bananas, but I like peanuts more.

I definately agree about your impression about what most Taiwanese buxiban owners consider a highly qualified teacher to be.

And I am not solely working for the money or else I would stay at my senior position in Canada, collect my steady paycheck and wait for retirement. My school here is extremely supportive, the staff is amazing and the students are a delight to teach. God forbid, I was hoping to find similar conditions in Taiwan. Am I hoping for a miracle?
I’m not implying teaching in Canada is a cakewalk. Of course my colleagues and I still complain about the overload of grading, the couple irresponsible parents, class size and trouble makers, but I’m used that now. It’s part of the job.