Teachers pay in the future

You have to establish your own brand and niche I think unless you can get a position in a top tier school or uni. Otherwise will be a slow and steady decline…

The big problem the lowest ranked unis will have now is parents are going to avoid them like the plague. The risk of them taking fees and then going bust will be too great.

I think we’ll see a fair few unis closing next academic year.

1 Like

Negotiate.
Never accept the sticker wage / salary.

Does that work nowadays? I remember playing hardball with hourly rates years ago and basically being silently laughed at.

I’m still silently laughing at you @BiggusDickus :yum: I guess supply and demand will set the rates , with a few exceptions . I’m actually doing an hour for a friend tomorrow in class … I love it ( in small doses) , and they only pay 650

2 Likes

That’s a good way to get passed over in favor of another candidate if the position is competitive. Pride before the fall.

If they’re desperate for you, that may work. But if they’re desperate for you, it probably means you’re over-qualified and can get a better job anyway.

Every time I complain about my 68k NTD salary, my wife reminds me that her sister only makes 24k a month in a secretarial position. But if I make peanuts and I’m still in the top 20% of earners here, that just makes me feel even more hopeless about any future on the ghost island.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty brutal…

3 Likes

I know. :disappointed: That’s not even the half of it. She’s had a hard life.

You managed to negotiate them that high?

2 Likes

You paid them 650 an hour to teach the nursing class…Again ! :grin:

1 Like

He’s not been giving demonstrations on bed bath techniques again, has he?

Sell yourself. It’s all about showing your potential employer that they actually really do need you and not someone else.

You don’t go about acting snobbish about it. You go in confident with a real list of qualifications, experience and specialties and offer them something they can’t pass up. If you pitch yourself right, they’ll pay up. Don’t aim too high, but also don’t sell yourself short.

I was against a dozen other applicants for my uni position. If I played hardball about the salary, they would have passed. First, be grateful you got the job. And then re-negotiate after a year there when your contract is up for renewal. They don’t even know if you’ll work out or not when they first hire you. I had to get through a probationary period the first semester.

When working buxibans the only negotiating technique that worked for me was “You pay what I want or I walk.” It was effective, but tricky if you aren’t in a position to walk.

Seriously, selling my qualifications was useless. They had no idea.

I see any perceived empathy has now evaporated :flog: :smoker:

1 Like

Swines the lot of you :grandpa:

1 Like

Good link and story, sad news for this “Industry”

I’ve never taught as a lecturer (well very briefly). A lot of lecturers are just journeymen working in , in this case, pretty shitty ‘unkverisities’, teaching unmotivated students. They shouldn’t be surprised to be laid off that’s for sure.

Best for them to develop a speciality.
Like that youtuber. Corporate training . Maybe go back to work in business. Private tutoring.

God. I knew most local salaries were absurdly low but this just makes me angry.

2 Likes