Teaching 1 on 1 - Going to peoples house

Hi there,

Im just wondering what location people generally use for private tuition. I have just started teaching privates and have my first student. He has asked for my address etc.

Do people usually invite students to their house or go to other peoples houses or do you meet publically? This person has told me they do not wish to do the lesson outside in a coffee shop because of outside noise etc.

Thanks
a

Normally, I’d either go to their house or we’d find a not so busy cafe. I’ve never had a private student ask to come to my house before.

Then again I don’t know what you’re charging per hour, I normally work out the going rate a student pays for a one on one class (where I work it’s about 1000), how much a teacher gets payed per hour (I normally get 700 per hour), then I just split the difference, which in my case comes to 850NT. Students get a better price, I pocket more; however, with the deal comes the understanding that we find an outside location, I only go to student’s homes whom I’m very familiar with and have known for a few years… though on no account would I have a student come to my house.

[quote=“Acute”]Hi there,

Im just wondering what location people generally use for private tuition. I have just started teaching privates and have my first student. He has asked for my address etc.

Do people usually invite students to their house or go to other peoples houses or do you meet publically? This person has told me they do not wish to do the lesson outside in a coffee shop because of outside noise etc.

Thanks
a[/quote]

coffee shop, too much hassle cleaning up and hiding the paraphernalia.

I’ve only ever tutored someone in my home only after tutoring them in a public place for 6 months or more. Until then, we meet in a coffee shop. I find that some MR Browns are quiet. Their prices are a little higher than other places, but they have free internet, which comes in handy.

Thanks guys. Actually my friend told me it was dodgy that someone would even ask to come to my house. :laughing:

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Acute”]Hi there,

Thanks
a[/quote]

coffee shop, too much hassle cleaning up and hiding the paraphernalia.[/quote]

The only time you need to worry about that is if you contract stipulates that you can’t do private classes (and) if you’re in a cafe within a 10 meter radius of where you work. Even if you did get caught by whoever it is that moniters cafes for English teachers - all you need to say is that it’s a language exchange with family/friend ect and no money is involved, (if your really worried) you could even prepare by carrying a mandarin handbook around so you can provide evidence… and ask your student not to use the red-bag payment method ~ that really does give the game away haha!

people monitor cafes for English teachers? :astonished:

Only weirdo wimmin who pounce on you to be your friend when you are minding your own bizniz drinking coffee.
I wouldn’t do it right near your school, though; not good politik.

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Acute”]Hi there,

Thanks
a[/quote]

coffee shop, too much hassle cleaning up and hiding the paraphernalia.[/quote]

The only time you need to worry about that is if you contract stipulates that you can’t do private classes (and) if you’re in a cafe within a 10 meter radius of where you work. Even if you did get caught by whoever it is that moniters cafes for English teachers - all you need to say is that it’s a language exchange with family/friend ect and no money is involved, (if your really worried) you could even prepare by carrying a Mandarin handbook around so you can provide evidence… and ask your student not to use the red-bag payment method ~ that really does give the game away haha![/quote]

ah i think you misunderstand DD’s inference…

he means don’t teach at home because you have to hide all the incriminating stuff like bongs and bondage gear…(not that i have either of those items at my house :sunglasses: )

In all my years of tutoring, I don’t think I have ever offered my home as a teaching space. I guess I wouldn’t mind. I have the space and it would probably encourage me to keep the “public” areas a bit more tidy. But it’s never come up.

But I agree with other posters that you should only allow someone you trust to come into your house. At least have the first meeting and interview in a public space, and then work out a location after you feel more comfortable.

If you teach kids, go to their house. If you teach adults, go to their house, their office, or an arranged place. And remember not to compromise on tuition!