Teaching a small group of 2/3 year olds

I’ve got a job teaching 6 three year olds. ( some are possibly 2). I’ve taught kindergarten before but never kids this young. It’s only thirty minutes a day . Any suggestions ???
thanks

[quote=“Barbara”]I’ve got a job teaching 6 three year olds. ( some are possibly 2). I’ve taught kindergarten before but never kids this young. It’s only thirty minutes a day . Any suggestions ???
thanks[/quote]

Sure. Don’t work illegally.

Don’t teach, just play. You won’t be able to do much ‘traditional teaching.’

Kenneth

[quote]Barbara wrote:
I’ve got a job teaching 6 three year olds. ( some are possibly 2). I’ve taught kindergarten before but never kids this young. It’s only thirty minutes a day . Any suggestions ???
thanks

Sure. Don’t work illegally.[/quote]

Get a grip Flicka. It could very well be legal.

Anyway, think TPR. Lots of ‘you say - they respond’ stuff. Sing songs. Play with stuff - balls blocks, coloured objects, toys etc and get them to name and talk about what they are playing with whenever possible. Break up your lesson into real short 5 minute activities of different sorts (alternate active and resting).

Brian

Use a lot of songs

Activities should be no longer than 2-10 minutes
Change activities and keep focus by using a song after one activity to lead into another
TPR(You say, they do) should be a 5-10 minute part with lots of running and execising.

I find the 2-3 year olds to be my favorite age group(I teach 4 hours of that age group a day) to teach in kindergarten. They are very eager and excited. As long as you have the patience it can be very rewarding.

Good luck,
Okami

You could teach a 2 yr-old in the US or Canada for a year without having him or her speak to you. Don’t delude yourself that you are teaching them language, unless mere exposure to language is the basis of your teaching plan. Anything more than that will be lost on them. I recommend getting lots of toys - Fisher Price, Play-doh, bubblemakers, Betty Crocker EZ bake ovens, whatever, and start playing with them in English (You’ll speak, they’ll listen and gurgle). That’s the only thing that will really take with them.

I beg to differ, Maoman. Two-year-olds are very capable of speaking. I have conversations with one in my school who is very articulate in English every morning when she comes in. My first year here I taught 22 3-going-on-4-year-olds (with two co-teachers) and I still have lots of fond memories of that, especially since they are going to be graduating from kindergarten this year. Right now, I teach 2 groups of four 3-year-olds (I am spliting up my classes, though, to make them smaller) for 30 minutes a day. I have lots of colorful posters around my classroom for them to explore along with a few books (especially Eric Carle) to read with them. I use manipulatives such as beans, seeds, and cards for counting or for vocabulary. We play the yummy/yucky game to reinforce vocabulary (“Is the kitty yummy?” “Is the pizza yummy?”). I set up coloring activities for them, but they pretty much set the curriculum based on what they need to learn. I try to have a variety of things available, in case they are not interested in something, but I make sure that they are able to touch or do things. And be silly…no, you don’t have to be a clown, but be involved in their learning through play instead of trying to teach them in a traditional way. After 3 months, all seven of my current 3-year-olds use some of the vocabulary that I’ve taught them, whether it’s mixed into simple two-word utterances (“is red”, “Big pumpkin”) or in their Chinese (“shi wo de chair” “Ni mei you clean up”).

This is English teaching. To kids. In Taiwan. Being a clown is a basic requirement. :laughing: Unless you’re teaching kids over 12 or adults or something.

Anyway, teaching kids that young? Monkey see, monkey do, monkey say. Teaching them using the same methods you teach your dog - “Sit! Good boy!” The fancy word for teaching kids like dogs is Total Physical Response (TPR). It’s the only thing that works for babies. Take out the ABC cards and have them point and touch. Sing the ABC and 1,2,3 songs.

My fav game for that age is hide the flashcard. “Where’s the dog?”