Teaching and research at a university

Hi,
First of all I’m new to the forum, have read a couple of threads and I’m amazed about how useful this forum is to Taiwan freshmen! February 2014 I hope to go to Taiwan and would like to work there for six months to get some international experience. Right now I’m kinda in the dark about how to find a job over there. Organizations in the Netherlands recommend English teaching (TEFL) and voluntary work, but have little concrete ideas about other (paid) jobs. My idea is to teach at a (private) university or assist in research (I have a research master degree in clinical and health psychology). So far my plan is to just e-mail them and hope for the best. What do you recommend? Any other candidate jobs I should look at? A second thought may be contacting an international organization established in Taiwan… As far as my Mandarin goes I’m at basic-average level.

Thanks for any comment :slight_smile:

1. Is the Netherlands classed as an “English-speaking country” by the ROC? I’m guessing no, but I don’t know for sure. If it is not, you cannot get a legal English teaching job.

2. Six months for any job in Taiwan is kinda short. I doubt you’re going to get a job teaching at any university with only an MA and for that short a period of time. You might get some sort of fellowship or unpaid internship, but then you’d have to answer the question “why are you so outstanding that you should be chosen over people who are fluent in Mandarin and local”? (I’m not begin negative about you – you could be amazingly fantastic – but I’m just telling you how I anticipate people thinking.) A non-Taiwanese requires a lot of paperwork, and for six months that might not be viewed as desirable unless there were some terrific advantage to having you personally.

I can’t speak to international organizations, but they should have an easier time getting visas and perhaps more tolerance for short-timers. Whether or not you would be paid is another question, though.

Thanks for your comments. Indeed, I see that my approach is rather bold and I would need some luck. Considering I like language and culture, specifically Chinese and Taiwanese, I might still opt for teaching instead, for which Taiwan allegedly has a high demand. How do you assess my chances of getting a job once I get there? For instance, I teach English and do some other part-time (statistical) consultancy. Or, I visit Taiwan as a tourist and apply for jobs and obtain a work permit within my visa period. Is that feasible?
On a side note, I heard it’s possible to ‘extend’ a visa by visiting a different country for some weeks and then return to Taiwan. Like I’m Taiwan for 90 days, go to Indonesia for 2 weeks and then get back to Taiwan for another 90 days. Is such travel behavior allowed?
Much appreciate your response :slight_smile:

Do you hold a passport from a country that the ROC considers to be an “English-speaking” country? If you do not, you cannot get a legal English teaching job.

It is also illegal for you to do “other part-time statistical consultancy”. You cannot be hired to do a job without 2 years of demonstrable directly-related work experience (actually 1 year, since you have an MA degree, if I’m not mistaken) AND proof by the employer that there is no Taiwanese national qualified to do that job. I think it will be rather difficult to prove there are no Taiwanese statisticians available. If you mean casually taking cases from, say, grad students needing help with stats, it might be possible but it’s unlikely to be a living or close to it, especially if your Mandarin is basic and you’re there for only a short time.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea for you, but so far on the surface it sounds like you expect to set foot on the island and have work rights, and it ain’t so.

Nice to read up on these things. No, the Netherlands is not considered an “English-speaking” country, so only with a TEFL certificate (Teaching English as Foreign Language) I have chances to work as a teacher in primary schools for a couple of months. Upcoming weeks I will contact some universities and organizations to see how they respond (if at all…). I’m starting to realize that traveling abroad is very much different from working in a foreign country. Perhaps I should look for available voluntary projects or a work experience place in a research field in time. I just hope that during my stay I learn the culture and improve my Mandarin, which I think are valuable assets nowadays, without relying on travel money only. Ideally, in the future I can help Chinese (and Taiwanese) people in the Netherlands in a field of interest.