Teaching as a non-native speaker?

Me and the GF are thinking about returning to Taiwan next year. Since my Chinese is not up to par I can’t do the office work that I do back here in Sweden. By this time next year GF should be wifey so the visa is no problem. Would I be able to work as an English teacher even though I’m not a native speaker? I have a M.Sc and even though I don’t come from one of those countries on the magic list I would say that my English is definitely adequate.

Once you’re married and you get your married persons ARC you can work for anyone that will hire you, so teaching won’t be problem.

If you’re anything like most Scandinavians I’ve met over here your English is probably better than some of those from countries on the magic list.

Yes, I agree with StuartCa.

[quote=“StuartCa”]Once you’re married and you get your married persons ARC you can work for anyone that will hire you, so teaching won’t be problem.

If you’re anything like most Scandinavians I’ve met over here your English is probably better than some of those from countries on the magic list.[/quote]

Great! Even though it has its downside as any other work, teaching English in Taiwan seems like a pretty good gig. The money is nothing compared to what I make here but since we would live in Yilan if we move it will definitely be enough. Man, this decision is becoming harder every day. Left on my list of definitive cons is the pension. It’s not like your handed the all out benefits plan when you’re a foreign teacher.

I actually had a sentence in my original post about my English skill compared to native speakers but I left that out since I thought it might make my post sound less serious :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the encouragement Stuart and Maoman!

Back in the old days (late 1980’s) you could find work easily as a non-native speaker even without a college degree.

Now, native speakers are everywhere and schools can be really picky. I guess you could probably find a smaller school or kindergarten in Yilan, but don’t expect the pay to be great.

I’m hearing from some sources that it would still be illegal. Are they misinformed?

Here’s the extract from Labor Law Regulations:

Current employment qualifications for foreign teachers:

According to the regulation No.0950501673 revised by the CLA on 5/2/2006, Article 42 of “The Reviewing Standards and Employment Qualifications for Foreigners Engaging in the Jobs Specified in Items 1 to 6, Paragraph 1 to Article 46 of the Employment Service Act”, foreign workers who hired as foreign language teachers based on the “Item 4, Paragraph 1 to Article 46 Employment Service Act” should have the qualifications bellow:

20 year old and above.
Graduated from college or above.
The language of the course you teach should be the same as the official language on you passport. Some countries have one and above official languages like Europe.
Those without a bachelor’s degree should have certified language teacher training certificates.

And it means that if English isn’t an official language in your country, teaching Engish is illegal.

Just to clarify, are the above regulations related to DOING the job, or are they related to what you need in order for your employer to get you an ARC?

The OP is planning to be on a JFRV, so he won’t need an ARC. In that case he can work in 7-11 or night-market, so it seems odd that he can’t teach English.

They’re the regulations required by the government before it’ll grant a company permission to employ you. In the case where the government has no business in the transaction, whatever your potential employer decides is sufficient. I wouldn’t worry too much, although you probably won’t be able to take a teaching job in the public school system.

Even with a JFRV, teaching English in a kindergarten would still be illegal. In Yilan, there probably wouldn’t be too much likelihood of raids, and even if they caught you, you’d wouldn’t be deported as you’d have a JFRV.

[quote=“WeiLina”]Here’s the extract from Labor Law Regulations:

Current employment qualifications for foreign teachers:

According to the regulation No.0950501673 revised by the CLA on 5/2/2006, Article 42 of “The Reviewing Standards and Employment Qualifications for Foreigners Engaging in the Jobs Specified in Items 1 to 6, Paragraph 1 to Article 46 of the Employment Service Act”, foreign workers who hired as foreign language teachers based on the “Item 4, Paragraph 1 to Article 46 Employment Service Act” should have the qualifications bellow:

20 year old and above.
Graduated from college or above.
The language of the course you teach should be the same as the official language on you passport. Some countries have one and above official languages like Europe.
Those without a bachelor’s degree should have certified language teacher training certificates.

And it means that if English isn’t an official language in your country, teaching Engish is illegal.[/quote]Yeah, that’s right. Not many people realise it, but nearly anyone who teaches English here is supposed to have a valid permit from the MOE, regardless of residency status. I’ve posted about this before. If you ask the MOE about the regulations, that’s what they’ll tell you. For any teaching situation that they regulate (classes in a licensed educational institution such as a buxiban or a regular school, or with more than four students, I think), the teacher is supposed to have a permit from them.

Thank you for the answers. I guess I’ll be fine then. Now we just need to decide if we’re moving or not :neutral:

[quote=“joesax”]
Yeah, that’s right. Not many people realise it, but nearly anyone who teaches English here is supposed to have a valid permit from the MOE, regardless of residency status. I’ve posted about this before. If you ask the MOE about the regulations, that’s what they’ll tell you. For any teaching situation that they regulate (classes in a licensed educational institution such as a buxiban or a regular school, or with more than four students, I think), the teacher is supposed to have a permit from them.[/quote]

This seems to be more their interpretation of the situation, or desire, than the reality. I remember hearing they felt that way from the first time I got the open work permit. Perhaps their view will prevail in the future, but as of now I have yet to hear of any enforcement of their view, someone correct me if I am wrong.