Teaching at cram school and government school at the same time

Hi all,

Is it illegal to teach at a cram school and a public high school at the same time?

I have a bachelors degree but not in teaching and therefore, do not have a teaching license. I do have a TEFL, though.

Moreover, in the contract (I have not signed) I was given from the cram school, the hours for the public high school were not stated, but instead verbally promised. The cram school boss said that there is no contract needed from the high school since the cram school cooperates with them. Only the hours for the cram school were stated in the contract.

What do you guys think about this?

Pretty sure this is illegal. Your regular ARC is sponsored through your employer’s work permit. You cannot have two work permits.

This sounds shady af.

1 Like

Wait what? I have two currently and know plenty of others that do too

2 Likes

What kind of ARC do you have?

Umm just standard work in a buxiban type

May or may not be able to get a work permit for the public school without the teaching licence, I’d imagine not

1 Like

+1

you should have a work permit for each job. If you have two jobs, you should have two work permits. And every location you work at should be printed on your ARC.

the teaching licence is mandatory.

2 Likes

I’m kind of worried at the moment.

I’ve also possessed two legal work permits simultaneously in the past.

1 Like

Okay, I’m wrong. But isn’t the rule you can’t have two jobs while you’re on a regular ARC?

You can have two part time jobs of up to 8 hours each in addition to your full time job (14+ hours) on your ARC up to a maximum of 32 hours.

3 Likes

No. If you have a work permit. You can work there.

The only other forms of ARC are the JFRV and APRC. Both give an open work permit. So work permit not necessary.

Aren’t there some situations where a school can legally contract with another school to provide teachers? I feel like I heard something about it. That doesn’t mean that’s necessarily what might be happening here, of course.

The job at the cram school is around 15 hours and the job at the high school is around 10 hours per week

Is it even really possible to be working illegally at a public high school, for all intents and purposes?

Is the high school address anywhere on your ARC?

The rule of thumb in Taiwan is if you think what you are being asked to do would be a bit shady in your own country, the odds are it is here too.

I don’t have an ARC yet. I’ve just gotten an offer.

like this one?

http://hclaw.hsinchu.gov.tw/law/LawContent.aspx?id=GL000316

Buxiban provides a teacher to school may be illegal. The following notice issued in 2005 was effective in 2011, and may be still.

各級公立或經立案之私立學校及幼稚園、托兒所(以下簡稱各校及幼稚園、托兒所),不得與補習班、私立就業服務機構等簽訂契約,由補習班、私立就業服務機構指派所聘僱之外國人至各校及幼稚園、托兒所內從事外國語文教學工作。
https://www.wda.gov.tw/News_Content.aspx?n=74963F5F05BDB4FB&sms=5A0BB383D955741C&s=0298467B72EA35AC

2 Likes

If sponsored by an employer then the teacher has to work at the employer’s address. Unless further part time addresses have been added. Are public schools excluded from this?

you teach at high school should be on your contract and included in your work permit. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure it is illegal.