Teaching at cram school and government school at the same time

They are highly unlikely to get any ‘surprise inspections’, I’d imagine.

1 Like

That’s true.

I can’t imagine they’ll get any inspections.

3 Likes

Ball’s in the OP’s court, then. Just make sure he doesn’t piss anyone off.

This is general advice, of course, and is in no way a suggestion related to this specific situation.

1 Like

nice disclaimer :grin:

1 Like

The second job doesn’t need to be listed on the ARC. The issuer of the ARC just needs to give written permission that the employee can have a part time job.

I’ve done this and been approved. The ARC only has the original employer

1 Like

What about the part where the boss said that the high school hours aren’t written in the contract and do not need to be as the high school cooperates with the cram school?

I didn’t know that. My mistake.

That is illegal, iiuc.

Employment Service Act

Article 57
As for employment of foreign worker(s), employer shall not engage in any of the following:
2.Employing in the name of the employer a foreign worker, but in reality causing that foreign worker to engage in work for a third party;
3.Appointing the employed foreign worker to work that is not within the sphere of the permit;

2 Likes

So any general advice for a newbie to Taiwan and the ESL industry like me? (Not to be considered legal advice)

I think you could sum what has been said up as, ‘it might be illegal but the chances of getting caught are effectively zero, unless you piss someone off and they report you’

Yeah. Pretty specific case.

That’s got to be illegal

Would it be legal and okay for the high school to give me a separate contract ?

That makes it pretty clear that it’s illegal, unless there’s been some change. I was looking online and saw some scuttlebutt that it happens. To work in those schools you need additional qualifications, and this would be a way to skirt regulations and get a teacher in there who doesn’t have them.

Need a teaching licence for that

2 Likes

Addition:

If you are employed as an Assistant with Special Skills for Junior High and Elementary Schools, you don’t need a teaching licence, but you still need a work permit and it cannot be got without a teaching licence.

1 Like

I guess that’s one for the APRC types then

There is NO circumstance under which a foreign national can legally teach in a public school if they do not have a teaching license in their home country. There are plenty of cases where this is blatently ignored (Fulbright ETA program being the biggest, and they expand expotentially every year), but it is still illegal.

I’ve never heard of FETs being “part time”. One or more MOE selected public schools will make sure you get all your hours (18-20/week). FYI, starting salary for FETs is 62,000/mo but sub pay is 350-450/class. For locals without teaching licenses who are teaching (although that’s also illegal), they receive sub pay.

Contract here: https://www.fettaiwan.com/downloads-contract/

If you’re teaching in public school, you need written permission from the education bureau to work anywhere else (tutoring the principal’s children with under-the-table pay included), so cram school would be out of the question if there’s no official document (make sure it’s signed and stamped and notorized) saying you can work in both places. (See contract)

TL;DR: try it at your own risk

2 Likes

This sounds disturbing. I’m quite nervous.

Out of curiosity, which county is this school in?