Teaching dress code..?

Hi all

Very quick random question before i get on the plane next week…!What’s the rough dress code for most teaching jobs? Nice chinos, a short/long sleeves button down shirt and nice canvas shoes ok…? Just stocking up in London before I go:)!

I imagine there’s no fixed thing but I would appreciate if u just mentioned what’s usually expected/normal where YOU work…

This is relevant to guys as i am a guy…btw:)!

That’s the thing. Kindy jobs you can get away with shorts and a T-shirt. Baseball caps also seem to be standard. An open neck shirt and slacks are good for adult teaching gigs. Some schools, such as Shane, require a tie. I really don’t understand that requirement for teaching.

There used to be a guy who was going to undergo gender reassignment surgery teaching where I live. He was very nice and a good teacher as far as I knew, but I had to feel for his boss who had to answer questions from parents such as “Why did I see Teacher X wearing a dress?”.

I’ve seen a guy teach kindy with a torn and stained t-shirt, raggedy old shorts, and worn out sandals before. Decent pants, shoes that don’t look like complete crap, and button-down shirts or even decent polo-type shirts (short sleeve should be fine, and preferable in the summer) will likely be well-received by all. Some cram schools would probably let you get by with shorts, a t-shirt, and a grubby pair of shoes, but dressing a bit nicer even if you don’t necessarily have to isn’t a bad way to go. You’ll look more like a real “teacher” and might even command a tad bit more respect. It’s not a bad idea to look sharp for the co-teachers as well :whistle:

:thumbsup:

Ok great thank you! So seems like I’m on the right track for people to at the very least get the impression that I’m a good professional teacher:)!

Follow up question… What about for an interview? Smart it up a bit but still no need for tie…?

If you wear a tie without being told they’ll think you’re a pedophile or some kind of sexual predator

Oh come on. For 99 percent of the teaching gigs, a decent t shirt and a decent pair of shorts, will be fine for summer. In winter a pair of decent jeans and a sweater will suffice.
The only ones I see in button down shirts are the Mormons.

[quote=“bigduke6”]Oh come on. For 99 percent of the teaching gigs, a decent t shirt and a decent pair of shorts, will be fine for summer. In winter a pair of decent jeans and a sweater will suffice.
The only ones I see in button down shirts are the Mormons.[/quote]

We don’t roll like that up north

[quote=“louisfriend”]Some cram schools would probably let you get by with shorts, a t-shirt, and a grubby pair of shoes, but dressing a bit nicer even if you don’t necessarily have to isn’t a bad way to go. You’ll look more like a real “teacher” and might even command a tad bit more respect. It’s not a bad idea to look sharp for the co-teachers as well :whistle:
[/quote]

I was only referring to what I see.

[quote=“TeacherJacob”]Ok great thank you! So seems like I’m on the right track for people to at the very least get the impression that I’m a good professional teacher:)!

Follow up question… What about for an interview? Smart it up a bit but still no need for tie…?[/quote]

It’s so weird. I’ve been teaching university in Britain and the dress code is ‘shoes should be roughly the same colour and don’t wear your jeans back to front’. In fact, people will assume you have less experience if you’re done up like you’re wearing the nice suit your mother bought you for job interviews. Now I’m preparing an Asia ‘trousseau’ for a move to China so I can look ‘professional’, while doing exactly the same job, but even so, I’ll just wear trousers, heels and a tshirt.

I’m female, though. It matters less, as long as you don’t show too much arms or chest. Can’t get involved in Asian dress code nonsense.

Right now at my school for most of the teachers, it is a pink polo Kappa shirt and long shorts. I’m the both only foreign teacher and the only male on the (permanent) staff so at present I wear a T-shirt, long shorts, socks and sneakers. I’ve worked for the school before and know I could get away with sandals. There was once a female teacher here from California who sometimes wore a bikini top.

Blue jeans (or non-athletic shorts) and a T-shirt. If I wear a nicer shirt my students think I have a date that night.

Yes! That’s very important. If you put your pants on backwards, people will think you’re not professional. :neutral:

Clean jeans are probably okay, but if you put them on the wrong way, your boss will say, “Uh, Ermintrude? Could we talk for a minute? . . . in private?” :blush:

I always wear pants.

It requires a certain breed of cretin to rock up to work in flip-flops and shorts. No wonder Taiwanese schools offer such one-sided contracts.

Wear a fucking shirt. Put on a pair of decent fucking pants, for chrissakes. Wear fucking socks. Don’t stumble around the classroom bare-footed. Even the lowly CTs can manage to afford a pair of fucking SLIPPERS.

Walk around with your mouth open like a toilet, and someone is BOUND to shit in it.

If you look like an utter tool, don’t expect to be treated like a state-of-the-art nuclear reactor. :2cents:

That’s not good enough. You have to make sure you don’t put 'em on backwards.

Perhaps Jimi could post a photo of himself properly attired. I’m afraid some people just don’t understand how important this is.

I think that’s a pic of Jimi in his avatar. Seems like he’s on a better contract than me. :s

Seriously, though, I’ve got this twerp who works with me. A Frenchie who can hardly string an English sentence together. I guess they hired him because he was prepared to work for stinking school lunchboxes or something. We had a performance yesterday. The bloke rocks up in a dirty shirt, torn jeans and NO SOCKS. In front of the parents. With bare feet!

He’s probably going to do a runner next week, as 90% of the teachers there have done in the past.

And people whine and complain that contracts with foreigners in Taiwan are so “one-sided”. :unamused:

Yes! That’s very important. If you put your pants on backwards, people will think you’re not professional. :neutral:

Clean jeans are probably okay, but if you put them on the wrong way, your boss will say, “Uh, Ermintrude? Could we talk for a minute? . . . in private?” :blush:[/quote]

Zender! i love you, you’re fab. Long time no read! It’s actually happened. I just pulled them on in the dark, without undoing the buttons. I noticed first, thankfully. :aiyo:

Having taught in half a dozen countries, teacher dress codes are contextual from country to country and within different context within a country. In the UK, noone cares if you look like you’re a vagrant unless you’re in a cheap PLS and in Taiwan, fairly casual but less casual if you’re teaching adults or you’re doing in-company work. Nowhere near as formal as, say, Italy or Thailand which are very formal but for completely different reasons. It depends on how the institution you’re working for markets itself as to whether you’re expected to dress like an office worker or not.

Bring one formal set for interviews. Not too dark or you’ll look like a used car salesman in summer in Taiwan. Then maybe opt for smart casual if your size means you need to bring things with you. At least you can wear it to go out, if its not what everybody else is wearing. Also, if you go too formal, you’ll look like a muppet, if you end up working somewhere where you aren’t allowed to wear shoes indoors!

I’m not sure that’s always such a bad thing. I would say it depends on the situation. For example, ninety percent of me did a runner about eight years ago, but so far my school has displayed an admirable tolerance toward the ten percent of me that stayed behind.

[quote=“jimipresley”]It requires a certain breed of cretin to rock up to work in flip-flops and shorts. No wonder Taiwanese schools offer such one-sided contracts.

Wear a fucking shirt. Put on a pair of decent fucking pants, for chrissakes. Wear fucking socks. Don’t stumble around the classroom bare-footed. Even the lowly CTs can manage to afford a pair of fucking SLIPPERS.

Walk around with your mouth open like a toilet, and someone is BOUND to shit in it.

If you look like an utter tool, don’t expect to be treated like a state-of-the-art nuclear reactor. :2cents:[/quote]

I have seen a picture of your couch, and I still have nightmares and therapy, so am under no illusions as to the quality of your school attire. :no-no: