Teaching English as an ABC

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]Hi mainstflushing, and welcome to the board.

I can’t speak from experience, because I’m white, and because I haven’t been in the job market in a long time.

On this board, opinions and experiences seem to vary about issues of pay and hiring discrimination against ABCs:

From April of 2014, from a thread entitled “Taiwanese nationals teaching English” (the original poster had dual Taiwanese and South African citizenship):

[quote]You will still get a job but your pay, hours and extra responsibilities will be that of a local Taiwanese teacher. that means lower pay/hr, fewer paid hours and more grading.

Typically that is.[/quote]

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4#p1593454

From the same thread as the 2014 quote above, and partially in response to that post:

[quote]. . . that is not always the case, nor should the O[riginal]P[oster] accept it as such.

It’s perfectly possible to get a job, but your choices will not be as varied as a non-Asian foreigner.[/quote]

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 2#p1593472

From the same thread as the two 2014 quotes above:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4#p1593594

From August of 2011, from the first post in a thread entitled “Hot Diggity Dog: ABC Files Discrimination Charge Against Kindy”:

[quote]From Google Translation with some editing (actually, massive):

American-born Chinese Mr. Zhang, according to the (New Taipei City council committee’s) employment discrimination complaint, said he applied for a new foreign language teaching position in one of New Taipei’s private kindergartens. However, the kindergarten (rep) told him that parents like White foreign teachers and will not welcome Yellow foreign teachers. He was (thus) refused (by the kindy for) an interview. He believes he was “racial(ly discriminated)”.

New Taipei City council committee, (after investigating the employment discrimination complaint, determined that the practice is questionable and fined the kindergarten 300,000 NT as of yesterday. This is the first case of employment discrimination in New Taipei City because of “race” factor in employment).[/quote]

From March of 2010:

From October of 2009:

From March of 2008:

[quote]I came to Taiwan without securing a job and just searched the internet and canvased around. I only got call backs from the ads I applied via the internet. I also got a lot of “we only hire foriegners”.

This being said I got a job within a week with a franchised chain school at competitive pay. Personally, I think being an ABC is a challenge, but you’ll get work, just hang in there.[/quote]

From July of 2007:

From the same thread as the one above, posted in August of 2007:

[quote]Hey, I’m CBC and I was able to find work within a week of looking. I did expereince a few schools who wouldn’t even accept my resume. But who wants to work for a racist school anyways? If you give a good demo, and have a four year degree, good schools will not care. In general, being CBC is not a bonus, but there’s enough opportunity so you’ll find a good job. Just hang in there, and don’t settle.
[/quote]

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/is-taichung-abc-cbc-friendly-city-for-teaching/38903/11[/quote]

Wow, this is beyond helpful! Thanks!!!