Teaching English as an Asian: Advice Needed

Hey, when I moved back to Taiwan I was told it would be hard for me to find a job in teaching since I’m not white. I got a job the first week of looking, so I don’t think it’s true. And I got paid the same as everyone else. There are good schools that don’t discriminate, and there are those that do. You don’t want to work for someone who is too close minded and only think hiring white people is the way to go anyways.

I worked part time and subbed for a while to supplement my income. It was an easy 30-35k a month while also working another job that mostly worked in the afternoon to the evenings.

3 Likes

Do you like teaching English? Otherwise don’t do it.

I forgot. One of the reasons that made hiring me attractive was I am a Citizen of Taiwan. So I can actually teach and fill in at a few branches of the school. Made scheduling easy on them.

1 Like

It make sense. The school doesn’t have to worry about an ARC.

She doesn’t come off as self-hating to me. Maybe self-righteous and above it all because she decided to write about it, not to ease her guilt but to rub everyone’s nose in theirs.
Shouldn’t be reading it anyway. It’s a blog for women.

1 Like

You’re turning into the king of the old threads.

1 Like

That’s a far better guess. Something’s definitely amiss with that blog, I think we can all agree.

She’s an intelligent lady but I don’t know why she chooses to go after foreign white males in Taiwan as her punching bag. I mean it’s not like there’s much privilege to be a foreigner of any description in Taiwan!

We once had dinner in the same restaurant , I recognised her and was about to say hello and then… nah fuggedaboutit.

If you have your own residency without help from the school, it’s a huge plus. Schools hate doing ARC crap.

1 Like

She really, really cares about that blog from what I can tell. Hardly ever writes about women the few times I’ve looked at it, but whatever she does write about, I feel like she’s shouting at me. I get that feeling from some people on Forumosa, too.

1 Like

It’s funny because she’s also often bickering with local twitterati (ok Brian Hioe) who, I get the feeling, resent her own attitude of entitlement as the queen of the big nose bloggers. Writes some interesting stuff mind.

It reads like chana massala from Taiwanease.

1 Like

:wink: