Teaching english in taiwan, questions

Hello, I am finishing up on my conscript service in 4 months, and I am considering teaching english as a possible solution. Question: Do I have to be a citizen of another country like USA or whatever to get a teaching job or do they just care that you know english enough to teach it? Also I havent got a college degree (I was working on one at the University of Texas until I had to come back to Taiwan, then got drafted and stuff…) but I have another friend who is also in the same boat as I am, but he has dual citizenship so he does visa runs to avoid drafts. He said he was able to get paid the same rate as other forigners. But I’ve heard people were paid considerably less (less than 30,000 a month) just because they were taiwanese citizens. I thought employers would like hiring citizens that knows english well enough to teach it because they dont have to hassle with ARC, doesnt have to answer to all kind of weird regulations regarding forigners and stuff. So what makes people so special if they required an ARC to teach? are citizens of Taiwan somehow second class??

Duuuuude, you are really setting yourself up for some criticism here. Normally, we wouldn’t go all grammar/spelling nazi on your ass, but you are requesting information about being an English teacher and your post is littered with mistakes.

But I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just made a bunch of typos.

If you have citizen status, you can try to get a job as an English teacher. If you can prove your worth to a laoban, there is no reason why you can’t get an FT salary. I have a friend in a similar situation and he is working as an FT. However, his English is beyond reproach. If I’d gotten your above post as a cover letter, I’d have tossed you in the bin.

ARCs are for expats with work permits. You are a Tw citizen (I think), so you don’t need a work permit, and therefore an ARC. Just apply for a job.

Good luck.

Well, I have Taiwanese citizenship and am paid as a FT. I guess you just need to prove yourself worth the pay, like the Gumper said.

However I do get mad every now and then because of the different treatment I get from ignorant parents and students. Their English ability is not good enough for them to tell whether a person’s English is near native or not, so they judge by the face. In fact, the school I work at lost a few students because they didn’t like being taught by a Chinese teacher. What can I say? Some cram schools pay Chinese teachers less because of this, I think. Not because Taiwanese are second class or anything like that.

Well, grammar isnt something that im really good at, at least not when im writing something that isnt important (like internet messages). I know most taiwanese if they have a college degree they will probably know proper grammar better than native americans, however they really suck when it somes to speaking. I think you should read my post above though I did mention I was finishing up on my army service, so there would be no doubt that i am a citizen (people with ARC doesnt have to serve in the army…)

Written or spoken or the ability to explain it? Oh, and, wanna bet? :slight_smile:

Not any of the Chinese Teachers I know, and you should be worried more about them than the average Chinese person on the street.

If teaching is what you wish to do…go try it out. You get out in four months, so you have time on the weekends to set up some interviews. Go and see how it goes.

Good luck.

Fair enough. That’s why I gave you such an easy ride. The first time.

Bullshit. They may know the rules of grammar, but they don’t have any idea how and when they are applied. Also, knowing the rules does not mean you can be an effective teacher, especially if you can’t write or speak properly.

That’s why I said what I did. BTW, “people” is plural. It’s just like saying “they”. So with that in mind, what is wrong with this sentence?

It’s pretty basic stuff my man. Imagine you are in an interview for an FT position. Everything is going great, you are on the verge of being offered a boffo $550/hour job and you get asked: What do your parents do?

Are you going to answer, “They is retired.”?

I can tell by your post you have the English ability to be an English teacher. That is important, but it’s only the beginning.

It is an interesting job, I think. So I wouldn’t discourage you. You won’t need a degree if you have a Taiwan passport, but you will probably need some teaching skills.