Teaching English Requirements

if you have an ARC based on marriage, you dont need a work permit. You have a work right.

In that case, you dont need any of bachelors degree, TESOL cert, or English speaking country’s passport, if there is an employer wanting to hire you. What you need is just a clean background check.

1 Like

Can they? Do you have any more concrete information about this?

Concrete information, no. An acquaintance told me he got caught and was fined something like 180k IIRC, even though he had an APRC.

Cram school 60k? I think you guys are high balling.

I am a Native speaker with a US passport. I’m getting 40K after taxes. I work 1-6pm Monday through Saturday. I have 2 years of experience.

I only know a few teachers, but they are making more than double that. You’re getting hosed.

2 Likes

That is roughly 400NT an hour (after taxes). Pretty low.
But you are also not working a full 8 hours.
600 to 700NT an hour was standard 10 years ago for buxibans. Has it changed? I know it is harder to find solid hours now. Owners have figured out they can pay less with block hours.

You must really suck at poker… :pensive:

To add to the list already posted, I just want to say that my brother got a job teaching in a private non-buxiban school in Hsinchu without any teaching qualifications whatsoever, not even a TEFL.

A monkey could get a professorship in Hsinchu.

No offense :wink:

This is also the impression I’ve gotten from my brother. I wonder why Hsinchu, of all places, seems to be so relaxed when it comes to credentials? It’s not like Hsinchu is some backwater where you’d think they’d be desperate for professionals (or is it?).

I’m exaggerating how easy it is to get a job in Hsinchu but, from what I know, there is a much higher demand for teachers in Hsinchu compared to Taipei. I think it is a combination of lack of foreigners and all those tech professionals with lots of money wanting to give their kids a competitive education. Its similar to Taoyuan because no foreigner wants to move there. I wonder where the OP wants to live.

I don’t mind what city I live in.

Move to Taoyuan or Hsinchu or better yet, a rural township then. No one else wants to live in those places, so there will probably be less competition for ESL jobs.

The fine the education department is authorized to demand for teaching in a kindergarten without the right credentials was $60k last time I checked, but repeat offenders can get repeat fines.

Re PTA’s hiring teachers to work at public schools, you mean parent-teacher associations? It sounds like either they’re breaking the law (just like most kindergartens), or they’re exempt from the Supplementary Education Act because they qualify as civic organizations, but it still sounds dodgy. I would love to know more.

What’s definitely illegal (frequently denied, but you can look it up) is having a buxiban “dispatch” teachers to another educational institution – a public school, a private school, a kindergarten, or even another buxiban with the same owner.

I really thought private school teachers were required to have licenses, so my assumption is that the private schools that hire unlicensed teachers are pulling something similar to what the “PTA’s” do at public schools.

1 Like

Not to derail the thread, but… :chicken: :egg:

When most laobans in the industry treat people like :poop: why bother putting down roots? It makes good fertilizer, but you need something stable to plant your roots in. :2cents:

Checked where? Inquiring minds want to know

Remind me in a few days if I haven’t dug it up by then.

You’ll find work no problem. Will you make a decent amount of money? That’s a different issue. I haven’t taught in a cram school in a long while, but my take on it is you’ll easily find a job at one. That will pay roughly 600-700 per hour.

Many cram schools - perhaps most - don’t care about TESOL / TEFL certification. They just want a white face, and government regulations says that face needs to have an undergrad degree. (Um, for what it’s worth, if you’re not Caucasian, you can still find a job, but it may be a little more difficult.)

The problem is finding enough hours. I believe this is a lot harder than it used to be. Filling the evenings - let’s say, 5pm to 8pm, for around NT$40,000/month - will be fairly easy; finding work outside of those hours is tougher. Taiwan has far fewer children than it once did, and the cram school market isn’t what it used to be. Twenty years ago, it was fairly easy to fill the evenings with buxiban work, and get a few gigs here and there during the day tutoring at companies. Maybe that sort of thing is still around, but it’s probably easier to find in Hsinchu or Taoyuan.

There are also many, many stories of people who took jobs that promised X hours of paid work, but wound up with far fewer hours, and a correspondingly lower salary. But I don’t know how often that actually happens.