Teaching English Requirements

That looks interesting… :ponder:

While we’re at it, let’s have the official explanation for why buxibans can’t lend their (foreign) teachers to other educational institutions. A shorter version can (or could) be found in the FAQ section (English and Chinese) of the WDA’s website.

行政院勞工委員會民國94年04月04日勞職規字第0940502262號

From the MOL’s perspective (it was the CLA at the time that letter was written), it’s a work permit issue and applies to educational institutions in general, not just kindergartens. (There are other letters clarifying the situation for non-kindergarten institutions.) Based on what they’ve said on other occasions about foreign spouses etc., there should be no issue for foreigners who don’t need work permits.

However, from the MOE’s perspective (see Attachment 1 of the CLA’s letter) and from the MOI’s perspective (see Attachment 2) it’s a language acquisition issue. And now, the Statute for Preschool Educators makes it clear that no dispatched teachers are permitted in kindergartens at all, not even Taiwanese teachers.

Tl/dr:
If you teach at a kindergarten, you stand to get in trouble unless you have the right credentials, and the kindergarten stands to get in trouble unless it is properly registered, employs you directly, and doesn’t have foreign language classes.

180k is the figure I have in my head. Obviously it must be wrong, but I’m sure he told me a figure much bigger than 30k. I must have misunderstood him.

Or maybe this is the key:

I suppose if the local government is concerned enough about a particular kindergarten, it could send an inspector once, issue an order for corrective action, and then send the inspector back a week or two later, but with repeat visits every day until the corrective action is actually taken, meaning a particular violation could be observed six times.

The bottom line is JFRVs and APRCs are not get out of jail free cards for circumventing Taiwanese laws and regulations. Something that should be borne in mind when posters make comments along the lines of open work rights mean people can teach wherever and to whoever they like. They will be breaking the law just as if they’d smoked a blunt outside 101.

True, but just to be clear, as the MOL has stated, those cases have nothing to do with labor law and everything to do with other fields of law, such as education law.

Who was saying this?
Everyone knows K and pre-K is off limits no matter what.
JFRV and APRC gives you open rights to teach in buxibans annd private elementary schools. Nobody I know of was saying anything about open work rights for K or Pre-K.

Only if your employer is applying for your ARC.
Those with JFRV or APRC status do not need a degree to work legally. However, many employers want you to have a university degree.

That implies to me that those with open work rights are circumventing the regulations. Or am I misunderstanding you?

EDIT: My mistake. I assume you were referring to buxibans etc. Same rights as locals in terms of qualifications.

This is an interesting read about the MOEs failed attempt to have 1000 certified foreign English teachers in public schools. They were only able to recruit 22. The report is from a few years ago. Because of the failure, they are considering hiring non-certified foreign teachers to fill vacancies.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2005/07/13/2003263299

Maybe they should start considering people who are not native speakers but but studied english.

I have a hell of a time going going through these regulations but it seems to me that the school is fined for having a worker that doesn’t meet the requirements set by the MOE. It seems odd that they would fine the person working there and not the institution that hired them to work.

I seem to be the one causing the confusion about open work rights and working in Kindergartens. I think I remember reading a story on Forumosa in which a person holding an APRC was caught and not punished at all but their coworker was deported.

Kindergartens: isn’t what’s illegal teaching a foreign language in kindergarten? My impression is that someone with an APRC could teach in a kindergarten, but they have to do it in Chinese (I’ve always wondered how kindergartens handle Mandarin vs Taiwanese vs Hakka). And if a Taiwanese citizen is teaching English in a kindergarten, that’s just as illegal as someone with an APRC doing it.

But we go round and round with these issues all the time in this forum, and the issues are indeed often resolved, but I never remember the answers, and to be honest the letter of the law is of questionable relevance anyway.

if the person has a required certification.

true.

Any ideas why it says teachers had to be under 45 years old? That seems bizarre to me.

1 Like

No idea

So in conclusion, getting a job at a Buxiban will be easy with an economics bachelors degree, an Australian passport, clean criminal record? and the salary will be 50 000 - ? NTD per month + ?

A guy I know who teaches kindy brags that when there’s a raid he just stays in class and waves his JFRV in the air. He’s been doing it for 18 years and nothings happened to him. I’m buggered if I know what’s going on.

Yes. You are erring on the side of caution with 50k, but best to prepare for the worst.

Yes.

No. I suspect that finding one job with enough hours to pay that much is unlikely. But others currently in the buxiban job market will have a better idea than I do.

In regards to the illegality of teaching in kindergartens for us ARC holders… I’m searching on the forums and I can’t find it.

What is the exact age your students have to be? At least six years old and older? That is if I’m teaching in a buxiban.

Bear in mind that the OP can get up to 3 employers on a work sponsored ARC.