Teaching English while Transgender in Taiwan

Far, far, far from reality.
Please do not paint an unrealistic rosy picture for the OP.
What the OP wants to do is going to be extremely challenging.
Please read my above post.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying, but I think it will be a bit harder for Taiwanese people to be able to tell that a foreigner is trans versus a local. She’s also not going through the process right before their eyes.

In general I think it’s good policy to keep your personal life separate from your professional life, anyway. Even so, most trans people wipe their social media of who they “used to be” so it’s difficult to out them through that.

I really think it’s at least worth a try, and while it might end up not working out, at least she’s not putting herself at risk. Taiwan is one of the safer/more LGBT-friendly places to live and work in Asia. Let OP explore a bit and see for herself.

I do agree about hormones, though. I have no idea how available those are here.

1 Like

Life is limited in time why should the OP try. For what exactly ? Please give me one or two positive reasons of what the OP can gain ?

1 Like

Taiwan is a great place to work and live.

4 Likes

Experience to live in a place with different cultures.

2 Likes

Stinky tofu.

6 Likes

Yep. We will not always find people who will react according to our expectations. We will never find a perfect country where everyone is free of discrimination. If the question was about facing any discrimination. Some people may treat you with respect, but some dont’. I believe it is not only in Taiwan.

TG and tando both made great points. Even stinky tofu is good when it’s good.

If OP is interested in living in East Asia I would definitely say Taiwan is one of the better choices for a net positive and most likely not dangerous experience.

We are talking about a person coming here to teach who said:

Half the time. And “maybe” half the time. Not 100% of the time. What exactly does that mean?
If 50% of the time people recognize her as being male, then I seriously doubt it is going to be easy to land a job. The OP is still transitioning.

The hierarchy of hire-ability for foreigners here is:

Good Looking white / native English speaker
Not so good looking white / native English speaker
White / Native English Speaker with visible tattoos
Non-white and non-black / native English speaker
Non-white and non-black / native English speaker with visible tattoos
Black / native English speaker
Black / native English speaker with visible tattoos
Asian / native English speaker
Asian / native English speaker with visible tattoos
Transgender MTF who does not pass 100% of the time

This is what she is up against.
Her resume and demo are going to have to blow everyone away, so much so as to eliminate all other job candidates on that list.

What kinds of tattoos are still visible if your wearing a long sleeve dress shirt? Are there people working here as teachers with face and hand tattoos?

Ifffy got the stifffffy huh image

Yes.
I have seen them on neck, face, arms, hands, legs and ankles.
Many teachers wear short sleeve because of the heat. Or roll up their sleeves.

1 Like

Good point. AGE does factor in a lot.

1 Like

Is she? She didn’t mention whether she was still in the process or if she’s basically just maintaining at this point.

How does age factor into your ranking system?

She said:

“have been” is present perfect progressive tense.

Do you really know this?

This is my personal professional opinion of how hiring works here based on observing hiring practices of schools over the past 15 years.

And, among everything else, you’ve seen that many transgender people and their hiring situations to have such exact knowledge of how they fit in this hierarchy?

In a positive way right? I was under the impression that ‘elder’ teachers were popular to hire? With age comes wisdom and they are less likely to flake out and all that crap. Is this untrue?

It is pretty humorous but also in my opinion pretty accurate up to about ten years ago. Age doesn’t matter much for teaching pre senior high kids but then it factors in I believe. Recently I feel things are improving a bit on all fronts regarding discrimination in teaching.