Teaching English with two-year degree

Hi everyone. I’m asking for a friend or two that may want to come to Taiwan in the future to teach but only have College diplomas. Does Taiwan accept College diplomas?

Sorry, is this a Canadian-specific term, or a college where?

Like, I know they give work permits to people with University degrees in any field. But College is just a diploma-granting institution and usually a two year thing. But there really isn’t any information on College.

Search for information on AA degrees or two-year degrees, there are some threads. It used to be they would take a 2-year degree along with some kind of EFL qualification (not online), but I’m not sure what the current situation is. I’ll change the headline to reflect the 2-year aspect, I think that’s the key.

3 Likes

Is two year degree the same thing? Everywhere I read seems to have college as a synonym for university but they’re different in Canada.

This is more what I am referring to. I’m just making sure that what my College-educated friends get are recognised. If it is the same, I apologise. :grin: I’m not totally familiar with it as I got my only teaching job in an open work permit scheme at Shihda years and years ago. But I am gonna look through that info you sent me. Thanks.

Fyi

1. For those foreign workers
    without Bachelor degree such as
    Associate or college degree, their
    study period shall be more than
    16 months in accordance with
    Regulations Regarding the
    Assessment and Recognition of
    Foreign Academic Credentials.

Those
who don’t have Bachelor
degree shall attach training
certificate of language
teaching.

Full-time Foreign Teacher in Cram School(SOP Manual)
https://ws.wda.gov.tw/Download.ashx?u=LzAwMS9VcGxvYWQvMzIxL3JlbGZpbGUvMC8yNTE2LzQwMWMyMGFmLTNiOWYtNDA5OC1iODYwLTc1ZGJlYjU5ZjFiNS5wZGY%3D&n=RDAwLeijnOe%2FkuePreWwiOS7u%2BWkluWci%2BiqnuaWh%2BaVmeW4q%2BeUs%2Biri%2BiBmOWDseioseWPr%2BWvqeafpeS9nOalreaJi%2BWGiihFTikucGRm

6 Likes

“College” confuses me :slight_smile: I think the main differentiation Taiwan draws is between 4- and 2-year degrees such as “Associate or college degrees” as quoted above. Colleges in the US can issue bachelor’s degrees as far as I know, for Americans there’s not really a college/uni difference unless I’m missing something.

3 Likes

That’s the other issue, they don’t call them degrees in Canadian colleges, but diplomas.

I hope the definition is the same to Taiwanese.

Thank you @tando. I will definitely go through all this.

I might try to contact someone at MOE for clarity, but I think the key will be if it is a 4-year program or not.

1 Like

US:

• community colleges and junior colleges are used relatively universally for 2 year (associate) degree granting schools
  • university - generally a phd granting institution
  • college - general term for 4 year, masters, of phd granting institution, occasionally used for community colleges as well
1 Like

I hold two two year degrees (associates in science and chemistry), and now going back to study uni for undergrad online. i had no problem getting a buxiban job without the bachelor’s. i did say that i am in uni for the bachelor’s though currently (which is true, after a 10 year break from college lol). i also hold a TEFL/TESOL certificate, so that might be beneficial in increasing their odds of getting a gig. but it seems to me if you’re clean and speak native english you’re already far ahead of a qualified fluent taiwanese vying for the same position (unfortunately).

1 Like

iiuc, it is a requirement to get a work permit with a 2 year degree, unless your degree is related to language teaching.

2 Likes

guess it also depends on how legit the school is. i enrolled in a language school in japan while on a tourist visa and they were able to grant you a student visa while there in the school which is technically illegal, so i guess, your mileage may vary. depends on the school maybe? it seems you’ve got it right tando.

1 Like

Well. With the pandemic, it might be particularly difficult to just walk in now.

1 Like

very true. i snuck in on a visitors visa. you might have to marry your friends Marco.

I called the TECO in Toronto and they said if they get the job, the WDA can give a work permit and they’ll issue a visa for entry.

They also told me that the working holiday visa programme is closed, but may open soon as people get vaccinated. Don’t quote me on this.

1 Like

you called a wrong place, it should be the WAD. If they have a work permit, the TECO will issue a visa.

I’m not sure the stuff below is useful, but I’m posting it just in case it is.

I think the pertinent part of the law is this:

[boldface added by me]

MDBG, which is said to be based on the CEDICT dictionary, defines 大專 as:

Dr.eye defines 大專 as:

Google Translate translates 大專 as:

I doubt the above will settle the matter, but I just thought I’d put it up here in a last-ditch attempt to be relevant about something. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update on the quote immediately below:

On the Ministry of Justice website, the article that I quoted in part in my post above, Article 42 of “Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act,” has been deleted:

The English version says as much:

There’s a page on the Workforce Development Agency’s website that states the English-language version of my earlier-posted “colleges or above” standard in Article 42 of “Qualifications and Criteria Standards,” etc.:

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=071CCB097CD05FFF

But it also links to that regulation:

Ibid.

And to repeat, Article 42 (or at least in the MOJ’s copy) of that regulation has been deleted.

I’ve done some looking around to try to find out what the story is, but I don’t know Chinese, so any further efforts on my part will probably be a losing battle.

Edited to add:

Situated apart from the larger, whole “Criteria Standards” regulation, I found this “Article 40,” that seems be the same as old Article 42, mysteriously labeled “Current Provision” ( “現行條文”):

勞動部勞動法令查詢系統-現行條文

Curiouser and curiouser.

Edited to add:

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE:

I think this is the new regulation:

短期補習班聘僱外國專業人才從事教師工作資格及審查標準-全國法規資料庫

In English:

The Qualifications and Criteria Standards of the Employment of Foreign Professionals Engaging in Professional Knowledge or Skills for Short-term Supplementary Learning Centers - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

Edited to add yet again:

(Emphasis added by me.)

One more thing:

Article 3 in Chinese:

短期補習班聘僱外國專業人才從事教師工作資格及審查標準 條號查詢結果-全國法規資料庫

Article 5-1 in Chinese:

短期補習班聘僱外國專業人才從事教師工作資格及審查標準§5-1-全國法規資料庫

1 Like