Teaching in Taiwan as a non-native English speaker

I recently received a Ph.D. in Educational Psychology in the U.S. and I am interested in teaching English in Taipei. I have lived in the US since 1996, but I am originally from Switzerland. I was wondering whether I will be able to find a teaching position, since I am not a native English speaker (even though I lived in the US for 14 years). I also fluently speak Italian (first language), French, German, and Spanish. My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to Taiwan with our four-year-old daughter. I would love for her to attend a preschool in Taiwan, so that she can learn to fluently speak Mandarin. Any tips are welcome. Thanks!

You have to have a passport from a country deemed to be an ‘English-speaking country’, to get a work permit, unfortunately.

There would be incredibly few openings, but you’d be allowed to teach Italian, French or German, perhaps?

Find a school that is licensed to teach other languages besides English. They can than hire you as an Italian or French teacher, but use you to teach English classes. Not exactly legal, but close enough.

There might be university openings in one of the European languages?

Many thanks to all of you for the prompt replies and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Well, this person has a real credential in Educational Psychology. That might be another avenue. She’s not necessarily doomed to a language teaching job at a university (although there will be relatively few openings in EP.)

I don’t believe English will be that much of an issue for a “content area” lectureship or assistant professorship, as long as her English is fluent enough.

Is Singapore considered an English Speakig country and we also speak Chinese. It is mandatory to have Chinese lesson from pre-school till pre-university education in Singapore, and it becomes optional during tertiary education.

I have been living in Taiwan for and a half years. I am considering to take up a part-time teaching position if I’m allowed and qualified to do so. Where are the possible avenues I can find a teaching job? I can conribute couple of hours during weekdays after 7pm and whoel day during weekends and public holidays. Perhaps, the strong point about me is that I am bilingual as in, I am proficient in both English and Chinese, written and spoken.

[quote=“Desperado1999”]Is Singapore considered an English Speakig country and we also speak Chinese. It is mandatory to have Chinese lesson from pre-school till pre-university education in Singapore, and it becomes optional during tertiary education.

I have been living in Taiwan for and a half years. I am considering to take up a part-time teaching position if I’m allowed and qualified to do so. Where are the possible avenues I can find a teaching job? I can conribute couple of hours during weekdays after 7pm and whoel day during weekends and public holidays. Perhaps, the strong point about me is that I am bilingual as in, I am proficient in both English and Chinese, written and spoken.[/quote]
Welcome to Forumosa. I like your style. :laughing: :laughing: :notworthy:

Well, what is my style? I never know there exists a style for me.

Grammar style, perhaps? :whistle:

No.

Is Scotland considered an English speaking country?

By the Taiwanese gubmint? Sure. There again, look around – them fellas are NOT who you could call the sharpest knives in the drawer.

To the OP: Do you have a US passport? If so, you are qualified to teach English in Taiwan. If not, are you white? If so, you will have no trouble finding a job teaching English in Taiwan - but it won’t be legal. Still, lots of people with far worse English than yours do it. Since you have a PhD, you could get a job teaching at a university - legally.

Only if the Scottish wear LED signs that scroll subtitles as they speak. :whistle:

As those who have been around Taiwan and this forum for a while already know, the laws in Taiwan regarding the teaching of English are, for the most part, extremely flexible. The interpretation is often in the eye of the person who has the papers in his or her hands at a particular moment.

I once met a guy from Holland who spoke impeccable English, with a North American accent, and when he realized that I was on to him, he asked me, “How is my accent?” He was working a a well know chain in Chaiyi. If I were his employer, I would have had no qualms about his linquistic abilites and probable teaching prowess.

However, I do have a problem with the following situation. Tou Jia Elementary School in Tai Jong is one of the flagship elementary schools in Taiwan. From what I know of this school, I would feel confident in sending one of my own children there. Be that as it may, I go back to my previous statement regarding the interpretation of the law in Taiwan.

There is a young lady from Brazil teaching English there and this link is about her.

mag.udn.com/mag/campus/storypage … _ID=237074

The article is in Mandarin, but the essence is that she is a VOLUNTEER of some sorts and since Tou Jia is a government school, I guess they have the power to be shakers and movers.
Perhaps I am being unfair, but if this were to become the norm…need I say more? Just call customer assistance for your Master Card and you will get my drift.

Yes, this is probably one of the rare exceptions to the rule, but they do exist.

Having rambled with all of that, I concur that the OP will probably find worthwhile employment in Taiwan if she concerts her efforts towards an upper level university position. He he, wish I had those qualifications a few years back!

My roommate does it. I think he was born in Poland, but lived a long time in England. He’s has a student visa. But, it’s illegal for him to teach English as a “foreign teacher”.

On two accounts -at least:

1. non-native speaker

2. students are not supposed to work

What Ramblin and others point out is that, yes, if there is a will, there is a way, but if you want to stay here long term and avoid having to hightail it out of The Island with extreme loses, it is better to keep your nose clean and follow the rules.

In the OPs case, with her credentials, it would be better to get a university teaching position -where PhD is a requirement, not necessarily being a native speaker of English- which would be more fullfilling, lucrative and overall enoyable. maybe she could make more money teaching kindy, but how long and at what cost?

Teaching illegally puts you at a disadvantageous position. They take your taxes, you become expendable as a dirty Kleenex… really, in teh past when foreign teachers where a valuable commodity perhaps, but now that the economics of the situation have shifted -i.e. lower salaries, more competition, less schools and tecahing hours available- it is better to look for greener, more secure pastures, i.e. get a work permit.

ps.
the brazilian is teaching for free, on a gov’t sponsored initiative. that 's quite a loop.

I wonder what opportunities as interpreter or translator dolcevita should be considering as an alternative.

I would like to express my gratitude to this forum for sharing some valuable thoughts and tips.
I will keep you posted, in case I find a job (and yes, I only plan to work there legally).
We are also considering to take a trip to Taiwan this summer, so that should give me the
opportunity to search further, in the event I do not land a job earlier.
Wishing you all the best…