Teaching in Taiwan as a non-native English speaker

no :laughing: couldnā€™t resist.

no :laughing: couldnā€™t resist.[/quote]
Oh no! A Toon! Commenting on thick accents? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dearie dearie me! :roflmao:
Why aye, bonny lad! Tits oot furra lads!

no :laughing: couldnā€™t resist.[/quote]
Oh no! A Toon! Commenting on thick accents? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dearie dearie me! :roflmao:
Why aye, bonny lad! Tits oot furra lads![/quote]

When I posted it, I had a feeling someone would bring that up. why aye.

Forget it, and try finding another job in another industry.
OR, go China.

[quote=ā€œDesperado1999ā€]Is Singapore considered an English Speakig country and we also speak Chinese. It is mandatory to have Chinese lesson from pre-school till pre-university education in Singapore, and it becomes optional during tertiary education.

I have been living in Taiwan for and a half years. I am considering to take up a part-time teaching position if Iā€™m allowed and qualified to do so. Where are the possible avenues I can find a teaching job? I can conribute couple of hours during weekdays after 7pm and whoel day during weekends and public holidays. Perhaps, the strong point about me is that I am bilingual as in, I am proficient in both English and Chinese, written and spoken.[/quote]

Hehehhee you must have been drunk when you posted, or maybe your keyboard is broken lol. Otherwise you dont know when to use four or for years. Singaporeans are not considered native speakers and even need to take IELTS tests in English when immigrating to some countries to test their English language skills.

But I am sure you could teach part time if you hold a valid ARC, and get am employment permit if you needed one.

Hehehhee you must have been drunk when you posted, or maybe your keyboard is broken lol. Otherwise you dont know when to use four or for years. Singaporeans are not considered native speakers and even need to take IELTS tests in English when immigrating to some countries to test their English language skills.

But I am sure you could teach part time if you hold a valid ARC, and get [color=#FF0000]am[/color] employment permit if you needed one.[/quote]

I meant to say: I have been living in Taiwan for [color=#0000BF]one [/color]and a half years. I canā€™t deny Iā€™m getting old. But you are not spared too! kekekekeke (see above) ā€¦ I should have thought of what you said i.e. the IELTS thingie to migrate to an English speaking country for Singaporean. This would be a testimony whether the country is considered as a native English speaking country. I might consider taking a part-time private teaching assignment just to kill some of my spare time. I already have an approved work permit as I am currently working with a MNC in Taipei.

Cheers!

Desperado,

DONā€™T. There is a list by the MOE of the SIX nationalities -meaning passport holders, no matter where they were born or language ability- whose citizens are allowed to teach English LEGALLY here.

Any part time whatever you do is at your own risk. Ask yourself whether it is worth it, since you already have a legal work permit elsewhere.

SEARCH. Use the search function to KNOW which are those nationalities -not Singapore. This has been discussed ad nauseum and that is why people were making fun of you, in case you hadnā€™t noticed. If you had and played the fool, then whatever comes to you will be a lot less than you deserve. :raspberry:

[quote=ā€œIconā€]Desperado,

DONā€™T. There is a list by the MOE of the SIX nationalities -meaning passport holders, no matter where they were born or language ability- whose citizens are allowed to teach English LEGALLY here.

Any part time whatever you do is at your own risk. Ask yourself whether it is worth it, since you already have a legal work permit elsewhere.

SEARCH. Use the search function to KNOW which are those nationalities -not Singapore. This has been discussed ad nauseum and that is why people were making fun of you, in case you hadnā€™t noticed. If you had and played the fool, then whatever comes to you will be a lot less than you deserve. :raspberry:[/quote]

Its funny some people in Singapore speak better English than I do when the accent is chucked in. Unless there speaking Singlish.

Thanks for pointing out my keyboards error. My keyboard is dyslexic you know.

You work permit does not allow you to teach English and it does not allow you to work where ever you want. Youā€™d need a separate work premit to teach part time. Without that you could be deported if caught teaching. I have lived in Signapore and Brunei so I do not doubt the ability of your English skills. However as pointed out by others Taiwan has itā€™s own views as to which countries are accepted.

It used to be that Ireland was not considered a native English speaking country by the government here. But the Irish found a way around that they just claimed to be part of the United Kingdom hahahahaha

[quote=ā€œShearersheedā€][quote=ā€œIconā€]Desperado,

SEARCH. Use the search function to KNOW which are those nationalities -not Singapore. This has been discussed ad nauseum and that is why people were making fun of you, in case you hadnā€™t noticed. If you had and played the fool, then whatever comes to you will be a lot less than you deserve. :raspberry:[/quote]

Its funny some people in Singapore speak better English than I do when the accent is chucked in. Unless there speaking Singlish.[/quote]

Language ability is totally useless. Language ability will not get you a permit, only the right passport will.

[quote=ā€œIconā€][quote=ā€œShearersheedā€][quote=ā€œIconā€]Desperado,

Its funny some people in Singapore speak better English than I do when the accent is chucked in. Unless there speaking Singlish.[/quote]

Language ability is totally useless. Language ability will not get you a permit, only the right passport will.[/quote]

Ha exactly, I have the correct passport. My language ability is fine, it is more trying to tone the accent down which is difficult.

Thanks for pointing out my keyboards error. My keyboard is dyslexic you know.

You work permit does not allow you to teach English and it does not allow you to work where ever you want. Youā€™d need a separate work premit to teach part time. Without that you could be deported if caught teaching. I have lived in Signapore and Brunei so I do not doubt the ability of your English skills. However as pointed out by others Taiwan has itā€™s own views as to which countries are accepted.

It used to be that Ireland was not considered a native English speaking country by the government here. But the Irish found a way around that they just claimed to be part of the United Kingdom hahahahaha[/quote]

Donā€™t the Irish normally find a way of getting around everything?

Your main problem would be trying to persuade people that you can speak English. Singapore is WORLD FAMOUS for the weird non-English gibberish they speak. Taiwanese people are quite well aware of this, too.
They maybe canā€™t speak English, but they SURE AS HELL know they donā€™t want to speak like someone from Singapore! Lar. :laughing:

[quote=ā€œsandmanā€]Your main problem would be trying to persuade people that you can speak English. Singapore is WORLD FAMOUS for the weird non-English gibberish they speak. Taiwanese people are quite well aware of this, too.
They maybe canā€™t speak English, but they SURE AS HELL know they donā€™t want to speak like someone from Singapore! Lar. :laughing:[/quote]

Donā€™t like that lah, give us a break lah ā€¦ :discodance: Iā€™m sure there are exceptions where Singaporeans can speak good English. Iā€™ve lived in Taipei for close to two years, most locals told me I donā€™t have a Singaporean accent when I speak even when I first arrived. For this matter, I can easily prove it during the interview. All I need is to secure an interview session. On the contrary, when I return home for vacations, my Singaporean friends told me my Chinese is now full of Taiwanese accent! :notworthy:

IMHO, (someone also mentioned in the forum) Taiwanese actually judged an Englsh tutor by the appearance rather than by qualifications. They have the stereotype view that if they learn English from a Native speaker, they can do better, learn faster, learn proper English, which I may not totally agree to this. In Singapore, we had English classess till pre-university levels, and most of our teachers are local people. Our exam papers are graded by Cambridge and we produce many many bright students that stunned many.

Well, we just canā€™t change other peopleā€™s perception, can we?

Indeed. And it shows. :laughing: Not YOU, you, perhaps, but damn! You have to admit that Singlish is English, captain, but not as we know it.

Indeed. And it shows. :laughing: Not YOU, you, perhaps, but damn! You have to admit that Singlish is English, captain, but not as we know it.[/quote]

Iā€™ve never had any problem understanding Singaporeans. The Singlish stuff is very much exaggerated. I guess they are an easy target. Itā€™s a lot more PC taking the piss out of a rich country and making fun of a people who have a high level of education. If we were to make fun of some poor dark skinned minority, it wouldnā€™t feel right.

Bill Bryson - that wanky second-rate travel writer who should be teaching in a taiwan buxiban rather than waving his successes in my face - said something to that effect about his travel books. He said that he hasnā€™t written about poor places because he wouldnā€™t feel comfortable ridiculing the people there.

Oh come ON! He wrote a whole damn tome about Australia.

[quote=ā€œsandmanā€]Your main problem would be trying to persuade people that you can speak English. Singapore is WORLD FAMOUS for the weird non-English gibberish they speak. Taiwanese people are quite well aware of this, too.
They maybe canā€™t speak English, but they SURE AS HELL know they donā€™t want to speak like someone from Singapore! Lar. :laughing:[/quote]
And with the lowest scores on TOEIC and IELTS tests in all of Asia, Taiwanese should be the absolute last people to be judging the English abilities of othersā€¦ :2cents:

[quote=ā€œDesperado1999ā€][quote=ā€œsandmanā€]Your main problem would be trying to persuade people that you can speak English. Singapore is WORLD FAMOUS for the weird non-English gibberish they speak. Taiwanese people are quite well aware of this, too.

Donā€™t like that lah, give us a break lah ā€¦ :discodance: Iā€™m sure there are exceptions where Singaporeans can speak good English. Iā€™ve lived in Taipei for close to two years, most locals told me I donā€™t have a Singaporean accent when I speak even when I first arrived. For this matter, I can easily prove it during the interview. All I need is to secure an interview session. On the contrary, when I return home for vacations, my Singaporean friends told me my Chinese is now full of Taiwanese accent! :notworthy:

IMHO, (someone also mentioned in the forum) Taiwanese actually judged an Englsh tutor by the appearance rather than by qualifications. They have the stereotype view that if they learn English from a Native speaker, they can do better, learn faster, learn proper English, which I may not totally agree to this. In Singapore, we had English classess till pre-university levels, and most of our teachers are local people. Our exam papers are graded by Cambridge and we produce many many bright students that stunned many.

Well, we just canā€™t change other peopleā€™s perception, can we?[/quote]

When weā€™re visiting Singapore, I had the hardest time understanding their English and/or Singlish (whichever comes first) ā€“ I needed subtle title. As a Taiwanese, my wife had a head spin trying to figure out their Mandarin. To say Singapore is an English native speaking country would be a little far stretch. I still have the same problem whenever I bumped into a Singaporean in this country.

Donā€™t get wrongā€¦ I love those folks and Iā€™d my short sting at the beautiful Island as a child ā€¦ but man! Bilingual?!?!

Funny thingā€¦ everyone is sending their kids to Singapore to be bilingualā€¦ Could have done a better job sending their kids to L.A. and having an illegal Taiwanese teaching Mandarin on the side ā€“ now thatā€™s Bilingual! For a few dollars moreā€¦. the illegal couldā€™ve thrown in some Taiwanese (Min-na language) to supplement the Singapore Hokkienā€¦ which I had the hardest time understanding too.:wink:

No hard feelingsā€¦

Anyway, to each his own ā€¦ I cannot deny the type of accent that we have as these are the side effect of being a multi racial society. We have the Chinese, and amongst them, there are the Hakkas, Hokkiens, Cantonese, Teochews, Hainanese, etc, etc ā€¦ thereā€™s also the Malays and Indians and the Eurasians living in Singapore. So, you can imagine the type of accent you can from them!

You should not have a problem understanding us when communicating in English to a normal educated Singaporean, the so call ā€œYā€ & ā€œZā€ generation. However, if you speak with, for example, a fishmonger, in the market, then thatā€™s a different scenario altogether. You would also face a little problem when you speak English to the ā€œXā€ generation, that is, the earliest imigrants to settle down in the tiny red dot as some might describe our island to be. These people are not educated at all unlike LKY and his equivalent.

In Taiwan, I never have any problem with the Taiwanese understanding my English and Mandarin, both written and spoken. In fact, they were duly impressed that I can speak (Mandarin) albeit with some accent but much better than mainland Chinese, they said. My French counterparts never have any problem understanding my English. On the contrary, my Taiwanese colleague faced great difficulties as they said the French has a very strong accent when speaking Chinese.