Teaching in Taiwan with an Associate Degree and TEFL certificate

Hello everyone,

I live in Dallas, TX and would like to move to Taiwan to teach. No previous teaching experience. I’ve done a little research so far and have read about the buxiban schools and also to avoid places like HESS. Can I get a teaching job with just an associate degree and TEFL certificate? I’m currently looking into the TEFL certificates and have read good things about the i-to-i online course. Has anyone else taken this course?

Also, I’m not into the party lifestyle, so living next to a bustling nightlife isn’t important. I’d be more interested living around mountains or nice roads to go motorcycling as I used to ride back in San Francisco and have missed it. Dallas drivers are the worst. How is Taoyuan County for this? Taipei is a little too busy for me. Any other suggestions?

Also, plus, does it necessarily matter when I move there to teach? I’d say the soonest I could probably do this would be after the TEFL certificate and visa, so possibly November. Do these types of schools hire year round?

Thanks!
K

[quote=“Kosbo”]Hello everyone,

I live in Dallas, TX and would like to move to Taiwan to teach. No previous teaching experience. I’ve done a little research so far and have read about the buxiban schools and also to avoid places like HESS. Can I get a teaching job with just an associate degree and TEFL certificate? I’m currently looking into the TEFL certificates and have read good things about the i-to-i online course. Has anyone else taken this course?

Also, I’m not into the party lifestyle, so living next to a bustling nightlife isn’t important. I’d be more interested living around mountains or nice roads to go motorcycling as I used to ride back in San Francisco and have missed it. Dallas drivers are the worst. How is Taoyuan County for this? Taipei is a little too busy for me. Any other suggestions?

Also, plus, does it necessarily matter when I move there to teach? I’d say the soonest I could probably do this would be after the TEFL certificate and visa, so possibly November. Do these types of schools hire year round?

Thanks!
K[/quote]

Taoyuan is … Well, it depends where you live. Taiwan has mountains everywhere, but if you are looking for a rural idyll, then it’ll be harder to find a job. You need to live where the hordes live, if you want stability. This holds true for any teaching job in the world.

Although it’s possible to get a work permit with an associates’ degree and cert, it doesn’t mean that schools will necessarily want you. There was a thread recently about a guy that was turned down by an agency (!) because he didn’t have a BA. You’ll need to be flexible.

It doesn’t matter when you arrive, but if it’s later in the year, you’ll lose a lot of tax. Google the 183 rule.