Teaching in Taiwan without an ARC?

Is it legal or possible to teach in Taiwan (cram schools/buxibans) without an ARC?

Would being a Taiwan citizen (born in Taiwan but grew up in the US-basically an ABC) help?

Thanks!

You don’t need an ARC if you aren’t an A.

If you have a Taiwan passport, you can legally do it.

If you look Asian, it will not help.

[quote=“grandmoff”]Is it legal or possible to teach in Taiwan (cram schools/buxibans) without an ARC?

Would being a Taiwan citizen (born in Taiwan but grew up in the US-basically an ABC) help?

Thanks![/quote]

You’re not an ABC. ABC= American Born Chinese. Understandably you probably sound and behave like an ABC, but you’re not one. You may even have US citizenship or dual citizenship. But, you were born in Taiwan. You’re a Taiwanese citizen. Citizens of Taiwan have a National ID card which you should have. But if you’re in Taiwan, you’ll probably have to do the 2-year military training thing.

I understand what ABC means. But technically I am an ABC. I entered the US with a Taiwanese passport at the age of 4. I have basically grown up in SoCal and received my US citizenship during high school. I cannot read or write or speak any Chinese. Chinese classes during Saturdays was not an option I wanted to attend since I already attended regular school 5 days a week. I was never interested in learning Chinese because well…I live in the US and everyone speaks English…My regret now is that I did not learn Chinese. My currently Chinese speaking and listen level is that of a 3 or 4 your old. I still can’t read and even writing my Chinese name is a struggle. LOL! Fortunately I was able to renew my Taiwanese citizenship so getting a teaching gig as a Taiwanese was easier for me than as an Asian looking American. I did not need to do the military service since I had already surpassed the age limit :slight_smile:

Do you know what “technically” means?

I strongly suggest that you use your time to learn Chinese while you are in Taiwan. It will make your life easier.
I think it’s a catch 22. On the one hand, you’re legally allowed to have any job you can get because you’re a Taiwanese citizen with a national ID card. On the other hand, most English teaching schools won’t give you the main teaching job because parents generally want a white teacher. You can’t even get a job as a teacher’s assistant because as you said your Chinese language ability sucks.

What other abilities or skills do you have? Maybe it’s time to take an inventory and consider what you like to do and what you are good at doing. Follow your passion (which probably isn’t English teaching) and the money will come. If your passion is meeting pretty girls, then maybe you should post advertisements on college campuses for free trial English tutoring sessions. :slight_smile: That way you can build up a potential client list (or list of potential girlfriends). Of course if you only accept female students, people will think something is up, and I’m not talking about that which is between your legs. :smiley:

Oh god please be trolling. Please do not be as clueless as you come across here.

1. you are overseas Chinese and not ABC

2. you do not “renew Taiwanese citizenship”, you apply for a new passport

3. it’s ROC citizenship

4. obviously it is not illegal for ROC citizens with household registration in Taiwan to work in Taiwan

5. having a ROC passport itself does not mean you can legally work or even enter

6. suggestion: do something about your English as well. You do not seem to understand the meaning of “technically”

7. you claim to be beyond the conscription age. That is ~36-ish. And now you want to become a cramschool teacher? At that age and as an ethnic Chinese? Good luck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=“hsinhai78”]Oh god please be trolling. Please do not be as clueless as you come across here.

1. you are overseas Chinese and not ABC

Thank you for clarifying my identity. While “technically” not born in the US, but immigrated at a very young age, even though I am Taiwanese by birth, I consider myself American.

1. you do not “renew Taiwanese citizenship”, you apply for a new passport

Yes you are correct, I had to renew my passport, but I kind of had to renew my Taiwanese or ROC citizenship since I had to renounce that when I became an US citizen… :sunglasses:

1. it’s ROC citizenship

Isn’t Taiwan the Republic of China? :sunglasses:

1. obviously it is not illegal for ROC citizens with household registration in Taiwan to work in Taiwan

My original question was inquiring about teaching at Cram Schools/Buxibans without an ARC since the majority of people teaching in Taiwan need the ARC to teach. Since I have both a US and ROC passport, which one should I represent when applying for a job? Which one would be more advantageous getting a job?

1. having a ROC passport itself does not mean you can legally work or even enter

Entering Taiwan under a ROC passport was no problem. The one advantage that comes to mind is that I can stay in Taiwan as long as I want without worrying about expiring visas.

1. suggestion: do something about your English as well. You do not seem to understand the meaning of “technically”

So you question my English skills because of one word? Nice. :bravo:

1. you claim to be beyond the conscription age. That is ~36-ish. And now you want to become a cramschool teacher? At that age and as an ethnic Chinese? Good luck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I am past the conscription age limit. I do not want to be a cram school teacher, but to teach English at the moment. This is my mid-life crisis time :laughing:
[/quote]

Yes I do, do you?

What did your post accomplish?

Since I was born in Taiwan, I am Chinese by birth, but grew up in the US, so I have assimilated the American culture and lifestyle. I consider myself American since I was educated from grade K to college and have lived 90% of my lifetime in the US not Taiwan. I am like most Chinese born in the US and attending grade K and up.

No. You did not have to renounce ROC nationality when you became a US citizen. The process of acquiring US citizenship has no effect under ROC nationality law. And that is all that matters for the Taiwanese government.

I suggest you go to Mainland China. Get yourself a Taibaozheng and live without the usual foreigner restrictions. There is more money to be made and there are better options than becoming an English teacher. In Taiwan you will have to compete with early 20s fobs who do the job for half the money and play clown in front of the parents.

With a little effort, you MIGHT be able to use this as an advantage. If you have the necessary documents so that you do not require a work permit, you can be eligible for jobs where the boss doesn’t have the resources or meet the requirements to hire a “real” foreigner. You would sell your utter foreignness to the boss as much as possible. Your appearance wouldn’t help, but you might find a situation where they just aren’t able to hire a foreigner who requires a work permit. It will help if you graduated from some prestigious university along the way, of course.

You mean you’re practically an ABC, but technically, you’re an ARC (American-raised Chinese) or, if you want to be more PC, an ART (American-raised Taiwanese). :wink:

I disagree. The jobs you suggest are the ones that don’t offer enough hours for a work permit or are really shady schools. Or kindy (not a bad option if someone likes kindy). Or jobs where they want a foreigner but are unwilling to pay foreigner wages. Not good jobs and not an advantage.

And this definitely true for someone with very little if any teaching experience already in his late 30’s. He will find work but most likely he will be scraping by each month barely making enough to make ends meet.

I disagree. The jobs you suggest are the ones that don’t offer enough hours for a work permit or are really shady schools. Or kindy (not a bad option if someone likes kindy). Or jobs where they want a foreigner but are unwilling to pay foreigner wages. Not good jobs and not an advantage.

And this definitely true for someone with very little if any teaching experience already in his late 30’s. He will find work but most likely he will be scraping by each month barely making enough to make ends meet.[/quote]

Can you read? If you have the necessary documents so that you do not require a work permit… The point is that he will find it difficult to get work through standard means because of his Asian appearance and age. So the only slight possibility would be to turn on the gringo marketing skills with the appealing fact that there’s no need to get him a work permit (assuming that’s the case).

Can you read?

The employers that aren’t able to offer a work permit typically will have shitty jobs. Especially for someone that basically has no experience. This is not an advantage.

Yes I do, do you?

Since I was born in Taiwan, I am Chinese by birth, but grew up in the US, so I have assimilated the American culture and lifestyle. I consider myself American since I was educated from grade K to college and have lived 90% of my lifetime in the US not Taiwan. I am like most Chinese born in the US and attending grade K and up.[/quote]

It accomplished establishing the facts that I know what technically means (and I suspect most people do) and you don’t. Being “like” most Chinese born in the US isn’t “technically” being an ABC.

It’s embarrassing that I have to explain that…

Yes I do, do you?

Since I was born in Taiwan, I am Chinese by birth, but grew up in the US, so I have assimilated the American culture and lifestyle. I consider myself American since I was educated from grade K to college and have lived 90% of my lifetime in the US not Taiwan. I am like most Chinese born in the US and attending grade K and up.[/quote]

It accomplished establishing the facts that I know what technically means (and I suspect most people do) and you don’t. Being “like” most Chinese born in the US isn’t “technically” being an ABC.

It’s embarrassing that I have to explain that…[/quote]

I’m embarrassed that you guys are still hung up on a word. How does that help answer my original question? For people on a forum about Taiwan in the teaching section, I would have thought that people would be more forgiving or understanding of others using some slang. Maybe I should have used “basically” or “practically” as someone else suggested. Would that ease your minds?

Thank you to the people who helped with my original question.

Hey, you decided to carry on talking about it when you replied to me defending yourself.

Take some responsibility for your own embarrassments.

[quote=“Abacus”]Can you read?

The employers that aren’t able to offer a work permit typically will have shitty jobs. Especially for someone that basically has no experience. This is not an advantage.[/quote]

Can you read?
The OP didn’t ask for the world’s best job. He asked whether it was possible to teach English in the ROC without an ARC.