Teaching in Taiwan without an ARC?

Yes I do, do you?

What did your post accomplish?

Since I was born in Taiwan, I am Chinese by birth, but grew up in the US, so I have assimilated the American culture and lifestyle. I consider myself American since I was educated from grade K to college and have lived 90% of my lifetime in the US not Taiwan. I am like most Chinese born in the US and attending grade K and up.[/quote]

Yeh, OP, but technically, you should say something like “although not technically ABC, since I was born in Taiwan, I grew up in the US, so I have assimilated the American culture…etc.”

I know its picky, but they are mostly bloody English Teachers, FFS. What can you expect?

Oh, and I sympathise about the NO CHINESE thing. I get a lot of static about that as well.

[quote=“ironlady”][quote=“Abacus”]Can you read?

The employers that aren’t able to offer a work permit typically will have shitty jobs. Especially for someone that basically has no experience. This is not an advantage.[/quote]

Can you read?
The OP didn’t ask for the world’s best job. He asked whether it was possible to teach English in the ROC without an ARC.[/quote]

I think it’s hilarious and sad that you tried to spin the worst jobs in the teaching profession in Taiwan as some kind of advantage (your words) that he will have. The fact is that he has one of the worst profiles as an English teacher in Taiwan. He’s getting older. He’s completely inexperienced. He doesn’t speak Chinese so he won’t even be able to apply for most of the lower paid teaching assistant jobs. He’s not even a true ABC which will affect his job status with most that are willing to look past the Asian ethnicity.

If he really has his heart set on teaching then by all means he should come to Taiwan as long as he is aware of what his job prospects are. As for his original question: yes, he can do any job in Taiwan that he can get but teaching jobs (even shitty ones) are going to be difficult to find. I don’t know what his other job options are in Taiwan since he doesn’t speak English but he should try every other possibility that exists and ignore teaching (unless he has his heart set on it).

[quote=“Abacus”][quote=“ironlady”][quote=“Abacus”]Can you read?

The employers that aren’t able to offer a work permit typically will have shitty jobs. Especially for someone that basically has no experience. This is not an advantage.[/quote]

Can you read?
The OP didn’t ask for the world’s best job. He asked whether it was possible to teach English in the ROC without an ARC.[/quote]

I think it’s hilarious and sad that you tried to spin the worst jobs in the teaching profession in Taiwan as some kind of advantage (your words) that he will have. The fact is that he has one of the worst profiles as an English teacher in Taiwan. He’s getting older. He’s completely inexperienced. He doesn’t speak Chinese so he won’t even be able to apply for most of the lower paid teaching assistant jobs. He’s not even a true ABC which will affect his job status with most that are willing to look past the Asian ethnicity.

If he really has his heart set on teaching then by all means he should come to Taiwan as long as he is aware of what his job prospects are. As for his original question: yes, he can do any job in Taiwan that he can get but teaching jobs (even shitty ones) are going to be difficult to find. I don’t know what his other job options are in Taiwan since he doesn’t speak English but he should try every other possibility that exists and ignore teaching (unless he has his heart set on it).[/quote]

No one said what he was asking to do was a particularly good idea. He asked whether it was possible. It is probably most possible by following the procedure I outlined. Whether he’ll be happy or prosperous doing the job he ends up getting is another matter.

One doesn’t of course know the OP’s specific personal circumstances and motivations, in particular family/relationship ties (unless I missed that information) but it does seem ironic that he apparently has full citizenship and working rights in the US, which, despite economic slippage, is probably still the main aspirational destination for migrants.

Most people would be heading in the opposite direction.

I’d move back to Taiwan in a minute, if it were possible. I guess not everyone is looking for the same things.

[quote=“ironlady”][quote=“Abacus”][quote=“ironlady”][quote=“Abacus”]Can you read?

Can you read?

If he really has his heart set on teaching then by all means he should come to Taiwan as long as he is aware of what his job prospects are. As for his original question: yes, he can do any job in Taiwan that he can get but teaching jobs (even shitty ones) are going to be difficult to find. I don’t know what his other job options are in Taiwan since he doesn’t speak English but he should try every other possibility that exists and ignore teaching (unless he has his heart set on it).[/quote]

No one said what he was asking to do was a particularly good idea. He asked whether it was possible. It is probably most possible by following the procedure I outlined. Whether he’ll be happy or prosperous doing the job he ends up getting is another matter.[/quote]

Not only that, but not only the bad schools will see this as a disadvantage. Many good schools will. The process of dealing with fob foreigners is a headache at times. Also, schools cannot get as many work permits as they want. Possible some need another teacher, but cannot hire another foreigner (often because of under reporting of student numbers).

I have known many good schools that just are too small to deal with work permits and ARCs. They don’t know how to do it, can’t do it, or have board members that they have to go through. Having a legal status to teach in those schools is a big plus.

I think there is a good chance most of us end up in shitty schools anyway when we first arrive. Not all, but most. Most people who have been here I while that I talk to about this started in a shitty school and it took a few schools before they found a good one. Even if it is not true for all, or even most, it is certainly something that happens a lot.

Having full working rights, even if it means finding a job is harder, can actually help you when you want to leave that job. Being tied to a horrible job because of an ARC is a nightmare.