Teaching in Thailand?

I realise several here have taught in Thailand, and forgetting for the moment the pluses and minuses - which other thread snippets I’ve seen have focused on, I;m curious to know the nuts and bolts of this.

From what i can see, no degree is required in Thailand, although you may have to do some local course. is that correct?
I’m sort of looking for a way for my lad to self fund his Muay Thai training in Thailand for awhile and figure teaching might be a reasonable option. He’s 18, just out of high school, so I’d be thinking kindy or young kids would be the go. Not to belittle the teaching profession of course, but I;m sure there’s teaching gigs and teaching gigs, and there’s a place for an eager young mutt like the lad.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I realise several here have taught in Thailand, and forgetting for the moment the pluses and minuses - which other thread snippets I’ve seen have focused on, I;m curious to know the nuts and bolts of this.

From what i can see, no degree is required in Thailand, although you may have to do some local course. is that correct?
[color=#0000FF]I’m sort of looking for a way for my lad to self fund his Muay Thai training in Thailand[/color] for awhile and figure teaching might be a reasonable option. He’s 18, just out of high school, so I’d be thinking kindy or young kids would be the go. Not to belittle the teaching profession of course, but I;m sure there’s teaching gigs and teaching gigs, and there’s a place for an eager young mutt like the lad.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.

HG[/quote]

Yep he asks daddy to fund his studies… thats what my son does :roflmao:

That’s true to date . . . but . . the buck stops here . . . or there.

HG

I taught there in the late nineties, so dunno if this is still true, but I definitely needed my degree cert for my work permit. That’s why KS Road sells 'em.

Hmm, big ask to believe an 18 year old has a degree, but then again, if it were possible anywhere, it would be Thailand.

HG

Was trying to remember if it was just a job requirement, but I’m fairly sure it was a wp requirement because I had to get an ‘official translation’. Given that it was in Latin, I was worried. This being Thailand, though, they just said ‘Translate it into English yourself and we’ll do the official translation from the English you write on the back of your receipt’.

Heard, and this is only 2nd hand news, they are getting hardcore (some slightly odd tactic for the eradication of nonces). Know someone who got refused after 30 years in Bangers! It’s ok if you renew, but an office ballsup meant he has to reapply from scratch and he didn’t make the cut. A brilliant teacher and fluent Thai speaker but completely uncredentialed and living with his brother working for 9 quid an hour in a cram school in Manchester, saving 50 pees for a ticket to Bali, last I heard. So if he goes the fake way, don’t fuck it up, or he’ll get the boot.

Sorry, maybe someone will have more up-to-date advice, or you could try Thai sites.

Thanks muchly, for that! Will also try some Thai sites. There are some other avenues to try also. Having Ms Huang make a decent man out of me seems to have some weird knock on potential for my boy, but not me, for example.

Bummer about your mate. And yet how depressingly common for the best to be weeded out by stupid measures targeting the clowns!

HG