Teaching Technical English

Hi all,

I will be coming to Taiwan (Taipei) soon for 4 months (mid-March - mid July, potentially longer if its going well) and am hoping to work teaching English.

Having recently completed my Masters in Computer Science (and having worked for a couple of years doing software development in San Francisco during the “dot-com boom”), I’d really prefer to find something that takes advantage of my technical background as well as being a native English speaker (I’m one of those awful Canadians).

Ideally I’d love to get a position in a University helping professors and grad students write papers and prepare presentations for international conferences and journals. I’m not sure how feasible this would be though. Failing that, I’d be interested in working with technical companies improving their sales pitch and “computer accent English” for interacting with international companies. Failing this, I’d prefer to work 1-on-1 with adults doing conversational “tuning” as opposed to giving formal grammar lessons to children.

Does anybody feel that it might be possible to find work like this? Is it too far-fetched to look for for 4 months? Any suggestions how I should go about it?

Thanks in advance for any info!

John

Technical writing jobs come up quite frequently. Check the jobs section of Forumosa.