Teaching through rhythm

Maybe you didn’t watch the video either. There is English in the video. The guy is speaking English. Could you tell?

This is a game to play while exploring music. The kids are challenged to keep time in their little heads. The kids are challenged to adjust to the changing tempo. Did you get any of this? You’d fit right in with the management of my school. They don’t understand siht either.

I see. I thought it was an English class.

No, I don’t work at your school.

I was genuinely interested about what the objective of the drumming was.

Yes, I think there are many great benefits to drumming games like this. This was my first exposure to this but after singing and making music all of my life I was very happy to come across this.

If I ever have more time to explore I’d like to find more such activities for my class using these drumming games.

1 Like

You must be American.

More than 300 million of you think you are unique and special.

Thats a lot of special people.

1 Like

You still haven’t explained what the objectives are in terms of language learning. Is it something to do with rhythm?

1 Like

There’s loads you can do with young kids and percussion instruments. They alleviate drilling and boredom.

1 Like

You clearly understand siht.

I don’t know what siht is. Some Hindu fringe cult religion?

3 Likes

It might involve drums.

You should be in top management.

I explained it several time. You even quoted me where I explained this was a music exploration class. I am simply leading this in English. This was one of the numerous things we did in this exploration class.

1 Like

Over qualified

Did my second link help out? I use the drum to make the lesson a bit more interesting, and to emphasize the importance of rhythm, and to demonstrate what rhythm is and how rhe English language is stress timed in a waybthat Mandarin isn’t. I point out the machine-gun syllable timing of Mandarin and how that is something most of them are doing (tattattattattat). The bone i throw is that while English is rhythmically more interesting, tonally Mandarin is like the violin of the orchestra

I have them clap along for some examples. Don’t have a game, though

5 Likes

I get that it’s fun, but I’m struggling to buy the rhythm bit.

1 Like

@BiggusDickus, this was the second link, take a look and let me know if you still dont get it

2 Likes

This is why many English teachers in Taiwan are vastly underrated, and underpaid.

Mandarin chinese teachers are playing Sunday league compared to some of you lot. :100:

2 Likes

uh oh you gone done it.
I need very little excuse to post this.

3 Likes

I do alright. Got lucky on this one, taught a masters course on how to teach listening and speaking some years back and asked the departing instructor if i could have her materials. Jazz chants was one of her topics, and my first thought on the sentence stress was that it couldn’t be true. But I looked into it and it is!

4 Likes

I think I get it. I’m struggling to get how effective it is.

As an aside, the British Council is a great organisation to work for.

1 Like

It’s a part of correct pronunciation, one that even native speakers who teach English aren’t really aware of. I raise aweness as part of a pronunciation lesson that focuses on Mandarin speakers. For long term effectiveness, i tell them this is one of the reasons why listening and shadowing is an important part of improving their pronunciation.

If the outcome is to improve pronunciation, this is a part of that and the drum is one of the tools in my toolbox. I bring the rubber bands to the same lesson, anyone know rhe rubber band trick for word stress?

4 Likes

I’m guessing it’s not shoot them with a rubber band if they get it wrong, but I can dream.

6 Likes