Teaching University Courses

They give out free tuition and a monthly stipend (used to be 6k a month). Plus, it’s a chance to build relationships with people in the English centre.

1 Like

Except for the pay and lazy students that is a great job.

Also job security in private unis will be very low I’m guessing. But then again job security for most of us is not great.

I started in the system almost 20 years ago with a Master’s, and in that time I’ve never heard of anyone getting a full-time job with a Bachelor’s degree. Occasional part-time work, yes.

The job market is tougher than it used to be, with a massive oversupply of overeducated people, and dwindling student numbers. Even ten years ago I had trouble getting a full-time job in Taipei with just a Master’s, and having five or six years of experience by that point was definitely helpful. I assume it’s even harder now. The public universities basically insist on a PhD; promotion to assistant professor levels is almost impossible with only a Master’s.

And yeah, as Brianjones says, who knows how long some of the private universities are going to last.

The future certainly isn’t bright for the private unis.

However, as they are forced to attract more foreign students this could increase the need for English language instruction.

It might depend on the program, what you’re teaching, and where you’re from. When I interviewed, there were 5 other candidates with PhDs. The hang up there was that their English wasn’t very good and the dean is trying to attract English speaking and competent teachers. Not easy.

Yeah, I only have a Masters and I wouldn’t even try in Taipei.

It is a struggle and many don’t give a fuck. But, periodically I do run into them and it’s always refreshing and gives me some hope.

Are you saying that there are better opportunities down south?

Yep, I got a full-time job in Kaohsiung at a very well-known private uni with only a Masters and was offered a part-time gig at the most well known public uni here (which I turned down for the full-time gig). It helps I have experience and my wife has a few connections in academia, but still.

1 Like

Yeah, the connection thing is very important. Also, when they see you’re competent and make a serious effort to do a good job, then word travels.

Last year the associate dean at my current uni gig asked me if i was interested in a full time gig elsewhere because he has a friend who runs their English department. He actually took me all the way out there for the interview and put a lot of effort into it. It ended up being too far and not worth it, but I was still impressed. Later on I realized that there may have been some ulterior motives on the associate dean’s side, but that’s another story.

1 Like

come on we got time

1 Like

Well, I’m just speculating here, but the associate dean is leaving and I’m assuming was trying to gain some kind of favor with the dean of the other school by hooking me up with a possible full time gig there. Once he’s gone, he doesn’t care if his current school can’t find teachers.

It’s also that whole guanxi thing. That said, I have pretty good guanxi with the new associate dean so things are looking up.

In general there seems to be a lot of wheeling and dealing going on behind the scenes.

3 Likes

As mentioned earlier in this thread, foreign “tenured” professors (named “full-time” in Taiwan’s categorization scheme) do not get paid more than their Taiwanese counterparts. Salaries are based on rank and increment level—period.

Guy

I don’t think that’s what DrewCutz meant.

Anyway, salaries are based on rank and increment level but it’s not period. There are many additional payments available.

1 Like

I think foreign and taiwanese professors can get extra if they are extraordinary.

1 Like

Right. Thank you. I was not comparing foreign professors to Taiwanese professors. I was replying to someone who asked if foreign highschool teachers make more or less than foreign uni instructors. I said they’re basically the same, but those who are professors can make more.

Also, as you mentioned there’s a lot of additional bonuses possible. I get a lot of additional income from the committees I belong to and the extra research I do for MoE on behalf of my uni. Taking that into account my monthly payment is more like 70k a month (as opposed to my base salary of 65).

1 Like

Special professors can get 400k NTD / month. (for 3 years)

國立政治大學延攬及留住特殊優秀人才彈性薪資支給原則

3 Likes

Damn, I wonder if NCCU is hiring… : P

Guy

I have a masters degree in international education and an APRC/open work permit also a US teaching license (not sure how relevant that last one is.) Would I be able to find a university job in the Taipei area? I also have experience training for IELTS. How do I go about finding a university job? Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks!

When I got mine I applied directly to the universities. I work outside of Taipei.

I’ve heard that most universities in Taipei are only taking PhD holders. I don’t know for sure if that is the case. My colleague got a full time job by working part time at the uni and getting noticed first.

1 Like