Teaching Unrelated Subjects at English Buxibans

One student that the buxiban handed me apparently needs an all-around instructor to drill him on everything. He’s one of these international school students who can read the textbook well enough, but doesn’t retain what he reads for very long (or so it seems).

They seem to want me to take responsibility for his test scores in every subject except for his math and Chinese, but I’m not terribly qualified to teach botany or American history. I can cover what the textbook contains, but it doesn’t seem like it would help his retention.

Do other teachers here have students like these? What do you normally do with them?

I taught math one summer to some int’l school students. Both students were Taiwanese born but American passport holding. One was basically fluent in English and spoken (not written) Chinese while the other was merely a completely unmotivated high level ESL student. The first was a lot of fun and participated and the other hated school and especially math. I think she was going to hate school even more when she started junior high school in an English only environment.

I think the first thing that you need to determine is whether or not he actually understands what he is reading. If he’s only a high level ESL student then he could be struggling because of that.

I don’t have a clear grasp of this student’s academic attitudes, but I know that he can read and understand the work, or at least correctly answer relevant questions about it, for a few days.